Marshall76

Aug 16, 2006
I've searched Google and I've seen people ask the question on here, "Will a YZ125 motor bolt in a YZ80 frame"... I'm trying to find out the opposite... I have a 13yr old who is just as tall as I am. I'd love to be able to take the motor out of the YZ80 and put it in a YZ125. Does anyone know if the bolts will line right up? Or is there welding involved?

Thanks in advance

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Chances are there will be frame modification of some sort. I think the carb is a lot smaller at the mouth so the airbox would also need to be changed and modified. The handling characteristics may be different too due to the way the engine weight is distributed. Also, not sure how the chain to countershaft sprocket alignment will work or if there would be more rubbing on the swingarm.

Ivan

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019
I've searched Google and I've seen people ask the question on here, "Will a YZ125 motor bolt in a YZ80 frame"... I'm trying to find out the opposite... I have a 13yr old who is just as tall as I am. I'd love to be able to take the motor out of the YZ80 and put it in a YZ125. Does anyone know if the bolts will line right up? Or is there welding involved?

Thanks in advance
I know Kawasaki and Honda made big wheel 80's kits for those bikes. If you are worried about too much horse power for him, I would keep the bikes stock, because if you change engines between 2 different displacement bikes you could run into handling issues which could be very dangerous! Keep him on the 80 until he is perfect in handling and racing/riding it. Next move on up to the yz-125 and slowly get used to it. Throttle control and brake use is the key, remember breaks are easy to replace, dinged up people and bikes are more expensive to take care of, good luck!
yamaha_yz_80_1982___rm_80___cr_80___kx80___ahrma_9_lgw.jpg

Top Bottom