TMDirtDad

May 2, 2001
Has anyone out there got a pipe on their 250f that is not as loud as the stock pipe?? What are the options, and are they noticably more quiet? I just got an'03 250f which I love, but some of my riding areas are close in and that pipe is LOUD!!! Many thanks for your advice-

Tony

MelloYello

~SPONSOR~
Nov 22, 2002
I'm assuming we're talking about a Yamaha YZ250F. If so, Pro Moto Billet makes an endcap and silent insert that fit on the stock muffler and brings the dbs down to 96 or less (so they say). It is noticeably quieter than stock and power does not seem to be affected much (they said you lose some on top end). Another cool thing is the endcap has a USFS-approved spark arrestor so you don't go setting your neighborhood forest ablaze.:flame:

TMDirtDad

May 2, 2001
ggoja;

thanks! I read about the promotobillet device. do you know what the db level of the stock pipe is? I'm wondering what the improvement is, really. I'm leaning towards trying this product because it's a LOT cheaper than an FMF quiet core. still need to do a little more research though.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Okie tried an FMF Q-pipe on his 250F and was pleased with the performance as well as the huge reduction in noise. He posted a little review a while back.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
buddy of mine put the fmf q on an '01 250f. the noise reduction is substantial--well worth it, imo. he also said he got a little more bottom end power from it. ps good for you for being responsible about it.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by TMDirtDad
ggoja;

do you know what the db level of the stock pipe is? 

I am not absolutely certain, but I think the sound level stock is about 100db, but someone with more accurate information could clear it up.  It just seems that I read that recently in one of the rags.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich
Okie tried an FMF Q-pipe on his 250F and was pleased with the performance as well as the huge reduction in noise. He posted a little review a while back.

I had my WR250F tested today. Im running a E-Series with a quiet core. Do they normally hold the meter only 2 inches from the outlet? My bike measured 105 db at 6500 rpm's. He said the only exhaust that seems to pass is the FMF Q.

Any chance of posting a link to Okie's review? I cant find it and would really like to see a few reviews before pulling my current exhaust.

Thanks

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I just did a check on Pro Moto Billet and they say nothing about noise reduction. I'd really like to get my 400F quieter without spending a ton of money.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
I found this on Baja Designs website.  It may  be of interest to you 4t riders.  It was on their website in a drop down box when I clicked on their custom products link.

www.bajadesigns.com

2003 marks the launch of another important California State Law: All off-road motorcycles used on California public lands must be equipped with a muffler that emits no more than 96 decibels of audible sound.

Baja Designs has created a simple and inexpensive solution to comply with the new California State Law by producing a baffle which easily surpasses the new state regulation. In addition, the Baja Baffle will pass the even more strict Michigan requirements. The baffle is constructed of durable stainless steel with a clean looking polished end cap.

We have baffles for most of the Honda XR line (250, 400 & 650) and the current Yamaha WRs (250F, 400F, 426F and the 450F). The device simply slides into the OEM muffler and is held securely in place by means of a set-screw

<B>Suggested Retail - $89.95-$99.95</B>

Last edited:

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Unfortunately my WR pipe is welded closed and they dont make a insert for the e-series. Looks like it would be a good choice for all others.

MelloYello

~SPONSOR~
Nov 22, 2002
Originally posted by Gary B.
I just did a check on Pro Moto Billet and they say nothing about noise reduction. I'd really like to get my 400F quieter without spending a ton of money.

PMB sells a Silent Insert that they claim reduces the dbs to 96 or less. At a recent enduro sound check, the rangers looked at my pipe and said they didn't need to test it. Apparently they already had a few bikes with the same setup go through.

The Spark Arrestor endcap is about $119(?) and the insert is $30. Good luck.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
A good freind of mine just installed on of THESE on his WR250F...seems very nice and he is quite happy with the performance (and I'm happy about the quite, as I ride with him ;) )

Henrik

Mar 31, 2003
I really don't understand why my 400F has to scream as loud as it does. 122dB @7000 rpm....Maybe I'll try s.g like this too......

Top Bottom