aaronnaland

Jan 19, 2009
In you guys opinion what is the quietest silencer for a 2-stroke that and what is the quietest that does not take any power away. Same goes for the 4-stroke make sure you clarify what you are talking about. most of all this is aimed at ones you can get for most anything like fmf or procircut. Or if there is a combination of a header pipe and a silencer that makes it quieter.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I think a big part of the Q's quietness is it's size. A bigger muffler can quiet w/out hampering performance.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Johnny YZ said:
Do you think the Q hampers perfomance?
Oh for sure! It will make your YZ250 run like a PW50 with worn rings! That's why they sell them don't ya' know. :bang:

Kawi4life

Feb 21, 2005
I'm going to have to buy one, I have zero choice, I got my first complaint on the first ride of my new KX450f and I never got a complaint on my KX250's! I wouldn't really care but I hate how much the 4-stroke exhausts are compared to the 2-stroke. Now that bikes almost come with nothing cheap and some name brand aftermarket parts (like the old steel bars vs Renthal or Pro Taper stock), these new noise problem 4-strokes should come with the FMF Q stock IMO OR make the damn stock part quieter!

Something definitely needs to be done with how loud they come off the showroom floor!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Here's a huge error many many people make. They actually think they NEED a MX bike for riding trails, off-road or on their property when the reality is the should choose something different. In the case of a KX450F a KLX450 would be a better choice because that's more in line with what it is designed for AND it just so happens to be pretty quiet straight off the showroom floor as well! If you race in a closed course environment then get a MX bike and ride it at thet type of facility or expect people to complain.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Patman said:
Here's a huge error many many people make. They actually think they NEED a MX bike for riding trails, off-road or on their property when the reality is the should choose something different. In the case of a KX450F a KLX450 would be a better choice because that's more in line with what it is designed for AND it just so happens to be pretty quiet straight off the showroom floor as well! If you race in a closed course environment then get a MX bike and ride it at thet type of facility or expect people to complain.
:whoa: Somebody's a bit crabby today.

I agree 100% with Kawi, bikes are TOO STINKIN' LOUD. I don't care where you ride them. They should be required to pass sound regulations to be sold. Government can come up with all sorts of laws to hurt our sport, maybe it's time they do something that would help it. Make the irresponsible people who want a loud pipe go buy one, don't make us responsible have to go buy a reasonble exhaust system.:coocoo:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Most guys who actually have a need for a loud performance pipe will buy an aftermarket pipe anyway.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Nah, just stating the facts, most MX bikes never see a real track. There are other options but vanity keeps most people from making a choice because it might not seem as cool.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
True patman. Lots of guys buy MX bikes to trail ride. Everybody knows trail bikes aren't as cool! :nener:

But that's really all the more reason to put quieter exhaust on at the factory.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I disagee Joe, it's not the factories issue, they are building bikes to win races. Oh sure the tail section from KLX would not impact 98% of the riders that buy a KXF and sure most serious racers would (or even do) replace the that stock exhaust just out of the same vanity and that quieter tail section wouldn't impact them either but there is a mindset that loud = fast.

Personally I think trail bikes are way cool, especially if you have some poor schalhoub on a MX bike crying that his suspension and handling are terrible and the power just doesn't work or even better he is getting spanked by a trail bike :)

Kawi4life

Feb 21, 2005
Why I choose the MX machines for all types of riding...

Patman said:

I've had a ton of trail oreinted bikes over the years and they just don't do it for me regardless the type of riding I'm doing - they're either so boring with the less aggressive power or they feel goofy to ride with the overly plush suspension, lights, batteries, and all that crap and normally are a lot bulkier and heavier.

I get the rush from the aggressive and more powerful MX machines and I like the lighter and more nimble feel of them. I used to race MX, but really don't plan on it again, but I'd still have to ride and practice in the same areas I will be riding the 450 now. Actually I still will be riding a MX style track at one of our riding areas where be build our little MX tracks and it will be ridden half the time in the same way that you would at a MX race - I would never feel comfortable riding a trail bike in this way - heck I don't feel comfortable on trail bikes at all.

For instance, my last non-competition offroad machine was a 2003 Yamaha 660 Raptor and for 660cc's it was a total boring joke! The motor just didn't give me the rush that my little rocket 250cc MX motor did! I went back to the KX250 and sold the Raptor to a friend. But even comparing quad vs quad, my 87 Quadracer was the most fun quad I ever owned...also the competition machine.

It's just the type of machine I like, feel comfortable on, and gives me that roller coaster thrill to ride. I'm willing to quiet it down with a aftermarket exhaust, but if it came down to it, I'd rather not ride anything at all then not be on a light aggressive MX machine.

Kawi4life

Feb 21, 2005
It's not a big deal quieting a bike down that I'm comfortable with. It's not like I have to totally redesign the entire bike, just take the sharp edge off the volume it puts out with a quieter exhaust and I'm good to go. :nod:

So anyway, you guys that have used or heard the FMF Q on the 450 MX machines does it bring it down to more acceptable levels like say a stock 250 2-stoke volume, or should I cancel the order and go with something more aggressively toned down then the FMF Q, if such a thing exists?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The Q will work well to quiet the bike down, but it does it by plugging up the exhaust. On a 450 the power change isn't a huge deal, but on a 250F it's apparent that FMF didn't do much R&D, or at the very least didn't seem to understand the physics of sound when they designed the Q for four-strokes.

Based on the little bit of testing I've done with this stuff, CRD makes much better four-stroke silencers that will quiet down the bike without killing the response the way a Q does. The CRD silencers tend to be bigger, maybe a little heavier, and they aren't cheap, but they really work well.

http://www.crd-international.com/moto.php?type=1&marque=11&modele=56&search_annee=&view=127

Attachments

• SILENCIEUX-quiet-power_moto.jpg
    SILENCIEUX-quiet-power_moto.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I run the endcaps from Pro Moto Billet with silent inserts. You can remove the silent inserts for track days, though I don't notice a difference. They do effect the jetting. A friend of mine put one on his 08 kx450, it definately doesn't make it sound like a kdx but it redirects the sound towards the ground so it doesn't carry as far. It's still a thumper and it's loud up close. Here's a link to PMB......http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/14/products_id/248
Scroll down to see the silent inserts.

Kawi4life

Feb 21, 2005
_JOE_ said:
I run the endcaps from Pro Moto Billet with silent inserts. You can remove the silent inserts for track days, though I don't notice a difference. They do effect the jetting. A friend of mine put one on his 08 kx450, it definately doesn't make it sound like a kdx but it redirects the sound towards the ground so it doesn't carry as far. It's still a thumper and it's loud up close. Here's a link to PMB......http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/14/products_id/248
Scroll down to see the silent inserts.

That's definitely cheaper than the complete FMF exhaust (around $360 vs $135). Think I'd be better off with one over the other or will they both be about the same in sound/performance when it's all said and done?

When I woke up this morning I heard a 4-stroke bike or quad riding past on the tracks and I could hear when they jumped on the gas on the whooped out section which is shy of 2000 feet of a full mile away from me (window open and measured in distance with my GPS) and I could hear every single whoop they hit! :whoa: The sound of these 4-strokes just carry so much more when jumped on.

I hate to think this, but I'm almost thinking about calling the dealer with the brand new 05 KX250 and seeing if they'll trade me straight across for the 450. :whoa: Man this bike when riding it feels hands down better than any bike I've ever owned I hope I don't wind up doing something stupid like trading it for a 05 KX250. :whoa:

What's weird is my friend next door had a YZ450f for three years and didn't get one complaint with it? Are the Yamaha's generally more quiet? I read a review on the 07 KX450f that it's a little on the ridiculous side of being loud, even for the track.

Anyway I wanna try to figure which is the best route for me to go so if I have to cancel the order of the FMF tomorrow I can do it early in the morning before it ships so I don't get stuck with paying the shipping both ways if I go with something else.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Actually you would have another 80 bucks for the insert to go with the endcap. The endcap alone does nothing more than add a spark arrestor. The insert is a smaller diameter turn down that bolts to the endcap. It makes a big difference in sound at a distance. We ride a big dried up river bed area that's about a mile long. You can hear a 250 2t about halfway down. My buddies kx-f is no louder at that distance than the 2 strokes. I've never heard a 4t with a Q muffler so I can't say which way would be better. I would almost try the Q and see how it sounds for the extra 100 bucks.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom