Quitting Smoking

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999

Every now and then I go back and read all of the old posts in this thread. I'll be damned if I'm not really doing it now just like the rest of you. :cool:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Good for you Green Horn! :aj:

plykins

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
You can do it Green Horn! If you need any help or just need a smoke free place to get away to, I am just up the road from you. Just let me know. :cool:

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Congrats to all that are still hanging tuff :cool:

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
good job. you wont be sorry

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
I have to hand it to the guys who have been smoking for years and then have gone and quit. I smoked only a relatively short time and still find that I want one every now and again. One thing I have noticed is that the cravings go away now if I wait them out.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
OldassKDX said:
the cravings go away now if I wait them out.
They sure do! And that's what makes it bearable. I had a major craving just about 2 hrs ago. I got done mowing the lawn and decided to have a couple 5 beers ( ;) ) and all of the sudden I was like "Damn, a smoke would go good with this." I'm ALREADY glad I didn't act on that impulse or the other ones I've had. :nod:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
plykins said:
You can do it Green Horn! If you need any help or just need a smoke free place to get away to, I am just up the road from you. Just let me know. :cool:

Perry, what's your email addy? I think we atleast need to get together for a ride one of these days and celebrate being non-smokers. :cool:

plykins

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
Green Horn said:
Perry, what's your email addy? I think we atleast need to get together for a ride one of these days and celebrate being non-smokers. :cool:
Chris, my e-mail is plykins@vvm.com . I'll have to get you up sometime to ride out at CTOR. Club I belong to, we have over 1300 acres of groomed trails west of Salado.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I have not popped in here lately to say congratulations to all of you!

I quit almost 35 years ago and had cravings until as recently as 5 years ago. You have to break each individual trigger point. Greenies beers and a cig after mowing is a good example. Not to get anyone down, because it wasn't like I wanted them often, it just took me that long to hit all my trigger points. I got the majority of them out of the way in the first 6 months.

Keep it up, if for no other reason that you will cough every 1/2 mile thater than every 200 yards! :aj:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Whats weird is i will be smoke free for 3 years this coming 4th of July, Havent had no major cravings ( i smoked for about 21 years) but i have had dreams where i smoked..

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Congrats to all of you.

My doc has been on me for quite awhile to quit. Between my high blood pressure 138/98 and my family history there is alot of concern. I had a follow up appt. yesterday and she wrote me a prescription for Wellbutrin. Anybody have experience with these pills? pros/cons

Thank you and congrats again

Jeff

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Im not sure, but if you have a smoke while wearing a patch, supposedly you may smoke more.. Not sure if wellbutin is like this or not// Did you talk too the pharmacist??

Good luck on kicking the habit, any help you need were here :cool:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I tried Wellbutrin a couple years ago. I quit for about 30 days but then fell off the wagon. The drug seemed to work fine, no cravings, but I just had not "decided" I was ready to quit yet. Hopefully that is not the case for you. Good luck kicking the habit, YZ165

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
YZ165 said:
I tried Wellbutrin a couple years ago. I quit for about 30 days but then fell off the wagon. The drug seemed to work fine, no cravings, but I just had not "decided" I was ready to quit yet.
I did the Wellbutrin thing a few years back as well. Pretty much got the same results. The Wellbutrin will HELP you quit but it won't do the hard work for you. You can take patches, pills, become hypnotized, etc... but the bottom line is that you WILL NOT succeed unless you really want to. All the above mentioned items are AIDES to quitting smoking. They do a tremendous job of helping a person to quit, but it's something you still have to work at. Good luck JWW and let us know if there's anything you need. :cool:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Tony Eeds said:
I quit almost 35 years ago
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about. :aj: I will someday say those exact words, Tony. :)

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I tried Welbutrin once, I tried Hypnosis too. They both worked in the short term. Within 3 months I was back smoking in both cases.

The bottom line was, as others have said, the stop smokings aids may help you stop initially, but until you are at the point where you are ready to quit they won't keep you quit. Only you can do that. When that day came for me I just put the cigarrettes down and never looked back.

I think I'm on year 5 without them and couldn't be happier.

Congrats to those who have kicked the habit, and good luck to those trying to get the monkey off their backs.

plykins

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
Green Horn said:
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about. :aj: I will someday say those exact words, Tony. :)
I hope to be able to do the same. ( will be 87 then)

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I was right about how many years:)
When I got into work on Monday, I got a pop up from Outlook declaring me smoke free for another year as of last Sunday :yeehaw:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Papakeith said:
I think I'm on year 5 without them and couldn't be happier.

I'll add you to the growing list of people that have done it just the way I want to. :cool: Awesome PK!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Hows everybody doin?? As of tomorrow, July 4th, it will be 3 years smoke free :laugh:

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
I'm a couple hours away from 6 Months. Looks like you have a 2.5 year head start :nod: Congrats!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Congrats too you too MX, goes by fast now :)

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Great Job rickyd! You too MXSparx! Glad to see everyone hanging in there!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…