Sep 8, 2006
I lifted this from another site. Thought it was worth reposting

Obituary of the late Mr. Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who
has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was,
since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He
will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:
Knowing when to come in out of the rain; Why the early bird gets the
worm; Life isn't always fair; and Maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more
than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in
charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but
overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6 year-old boy
charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended
from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for
reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the
job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly
children. It declined even further when schools were required to get
Parental consent to administer Calpol, sun lotion or a band-aid to a
student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and
wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became
contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better
treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a
burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to
realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot.
She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge
settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his
wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 3 stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, Someone Else Is
To Blame, and I'm A Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If
you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do
nothing.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I miss that friend! :|

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Pretty good. Note that just about all of these complaints arise from the actions of government entities and the inaction of the people.

Common sense started dying when the majority of American people let the government start making laws up out of thin air instead of requiring the government to limit their law making to the limits expressly stated by the founding prinicples in the Constitution.

The death of republican government (rule of law) and the transition to democracy (majority rule) is the reason for this change.

The majority of Americans have chosen the nanny state to protect and care for them instead of taking responsibility for themselves.

About the only thing I'd disagree with in the initial post is the reference to the coffee case because. . .

1: The coffee was far more than hot - it was 20 to 30 degrees hotter than any other restaurant and 60+ degrees hotter than the coffee served out of your coffee pot. The coffee was so hot that it caused 3rd degree burns within 7 seconds;

2: Third degree burns on 6% of the body (mostly the genitals) is hardly "spilling a little bit". Skin grafts were required. What would you do if you had to have skin grafts on your genitals?;

3: The initial award was very large. After appeal and settlement, the actual amount received by the woman was about 1/10th the initial award. If you think the verdict was excessive because it punished the company for it's actions, fine. That's hardly the woman's fault. She offered to settle for $20,000 and the company refused;

4: The company in question had 700 complaints of severe burns before this one and the company intentionally refused to lower the temperature or to even put a warning on the cup;

5: There's a principle of law dealing with appeals which essentially prevents the appeals court from re-evaluating the credibility and truthfulness of the witnesses. The reason for this principle is that the jury was able to see the witnesses in person and therefore was in a better position to judge the truthfulness and credibility of those witnesses.

People who were not on that jury (and not on the jury in other cases) are being presumptuous in judging the decision of the persons who were. Maybe those people did give an excessive award, but you and I weren't there. How do you know what you would have done? You didn't hear all the evidence and view the witnesses. I'd guess that many of you hadn't heard much of the info above before I posted it on here.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Again, if most people prefer their coffee hotter, they should not cool it down! Stupid hurts man! People are always going to get hurt no matter how many precautions everybody takes. This morning in Quebec, they want to abolish you know those beds one on top of the other because a girl fell from the top one and was victim of a concussion. Well, too bad for the girl! Don't fall next time! Are they going to banish baths because they are slippery? Will they abolish stairs because I fall in them once in a while? Is this ''I hold my coffee with my crouch'' person part of your family robwright?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
robwbright said:
4: The company in question had 700 complaints of severe burns before this one and the company intentionally refused to lower the temperature or to even put a warning on the cup;

Call me presumptuous (too late, you already did!), but the product was safely used hundreds of millions of times over a period of deades.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
robwbright said:
I'd guess that many of you hadn't heard much of the info above before I posted it on here.

Don't throw your arm out of the socket patting yourself on the back.

We bumpkins can manage just fine without your pearls of wisdom delivered from on high.

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
robwbright - Blaming the government is one of the three surviving step-brothers ;). Give us a break, the government has nothing to do with how parents raise their children which is at the heart of a lot of problems these days. The court system is to blame for the other parts, and I guess it's the same over there as it is here where the courts are a seperate entity from the government?

Sorry, I just get a bit tired of people sitting on the fence blaming the government for the world's woes...

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
trial_07 said:
Is this ''I hold my coffee with my crouch'' person part of your family robwright?

No. Rob is an attorney. Unfortunately, in his profession common sense is not a job requirement. In fact, quite the contrary. :coocoo:

RIP Mr. Common Sense. :(

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

Haha that was a good post, and is unfortunately to true!

If I was stupid enough in the first place to spill my hot coffee all over myself the last thing that would have crossed my mind was "Oh I am going to sue MacDonald's it's all their fault"! I can't believe the way people are nowadays, last week it snowed up here and was icy as hell on some of the campus sidewalks, my friend slips and spills his coffee and just feels stupid that he did that, just before my lab I hear another girl who slipped and was mad because she didn't get hurt and now she couldn't sue the university. I am so glad I grew up where I did and didn't get brought up like some of these pansy assed people now, if I did something stupid my parents didn't sue they just told me I deserved it for being stupid. Seriously what is the world coming to.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I was raised that way too ;) I suppose it's Canadian, eh? Haha I hope you liked my play on words :) Seriously I hate being part of this world! One of friend who is a girl showed me her thumb today which was red and pretty fat. She burned it while straightening her hair yesterday. It never came to her mind to sue the straightening iron company or whatever. I suppose it's only a minority of the people who'd sue Mrs. Nature because it rains! I hate those people :bang:

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Oh I forgot! I'll sue Kawasaki for making those KX too dangerous! Man I broke my elbow riding this evil thing :fft:

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I still can't under stand why no one has sued the mining companies, who mine the ore, to make the steel, that makes the knives, guns, and cars that kill so many;-)

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Yeah and parts for the evil dirt bikes :bang:

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
CaNaDiAn said:
Haha that was a good post, and is unfortunately to true!

... just before my lab I hear another girl who slipped and was mad because she didn't get hurt and now she couldn't sue the university.

When I was growing up if i would have even thought of bringing up a lawsuit against someone for something that i'd done out of carelessness (like slipping on ice or pouring coffee on the boys) ... my Dad would have kicked the crap out of me.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
KelvinKDX said:
... my Dad would have kicked the crap out of me.

Now theres common sense right there! :nod:
Your Dads a good man!

Top Bottom