MXer60

Feb 11, 2001
Jeremy I am running with 95mm of race sag and 35mm of free sag. Is this too much free sag, and if so do I need one size smaller spring? Thanks

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
On jap bikes i prefer between 98-102mm depending on the type of track and rider preferance. I feel free sag should be min. 15mm and max 30mm when the shock is hot. I would say from your info that you need a softer spring.What do you weigh and what do you ride?
Hope this helps.

MXer60

Feb 11, 2001
I weigh 140 pounds and i ride a 02 CRF 450R. I have already went down to 5.0, and I am worried if i go any softer it will be to soft. Stock was a 5.4 Thanks for the info

Anssi

May 20, 2001
From the sag numbers I would say you need a softer spring. You are way high on free sag, and your race sag is marginal. Just make sure you get fork springs to keep some sort of balance when you go that much softer in the back.

MXer60

Feb 11, 2001
i just went and changed it to having 98mm of race sag and I now have 42mm of free sag. I now know for sure i need to go lighter on the rear spring. I can either get a race tech 4.8, or a eibach 4.9. I am not sure which would be better the 4.8 or the 4.9. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Rumz

Oct 13, 2002
be sure your shock linkage is in good condition. i was having problems with sag on my 20 cr250 and found the linkage needle bearings were all rusted causing it to bind. i removed the shock and it was hard to move the swingarm up and down. had to replace some bearings and grease the others. also check for any excessive play in the linkage. the bearings could be worn out. that can also mess up sag readings.

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
I agree 4.8kg should be ok. You can then play with your external clickers to find your best result. If you are still unhappy a revalve is needed, but you are on the right track to be first choosing the correct springs for your weight. As you have gone lighter on the shock spring you should think about lighter fork springs to keep the bike balanced. Be sure to give your springs a ride or two re-checking your shock sag as springs do take a little time to bed in.

Top Bottom