race gas???

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
Will running some 100+ fuel do anything? (good or bad) I have easy access to some and thought I might try it....

On another note.... I just got back from the atlanta THQ stop. WOW. Those guys are good. :ohmy:

kdxmojave1

Feb 10, 2004
i run race gas doesnt help really but the guy before me ran striaght race gas. so i jsut said hey what the hell might as well run it instead of having to rejet and stuff. so now i run a 91/106 with a redline 40:1 oil ratio. smells damn good!!!!!!

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
The only thing you really get out of race gas, is a more consistant fuel to adjust your jetting by.... Oh, and it smells damn good...... Unless you are running Av gas, which has additives in it I would avoid.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Race gas will provide consistancy from tank to tank for jetting purposes, if you stick with the same brand and blend. If you jet for, say, C-2 and switch to Ultimate-2, you could lean seize the motor due to the extra oxygen added to U-2. Also, I think that race gas keeps the insides of my KIPS cleaner.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
It will provide consistency for jetting. It will not give you added hp. The compression of your motor (amongst other factors) basically dictates the octane requirement of your engine. If you don't have the compression you are just wasting your money with the high octane stuff. It may even run worse than with 93.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Braahp said:
It will provide consistency for jetting. It will not give you added hp.

That used to be true a few years back but the newer oxygenated & high energy component fuels can provide additional horsepower and throttle response even on stock engines. Whether or not the additional cost is worth the performance increase is a personal decision.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001

KDXNick

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2002
I ride with a few guys that run race gas, and I have used it myself in the past. It makes a big difference if your engine modified for racing; if you don't use it, you will blow your engine up. If you have a engine with stock or close to stock compression, race gas makes a slight difference in hp and a slightly larger difference in throttle response, but it isn't noticeable by most riders and is nowhere near worth the cost unless you race on the weekends. Modern fourstrokes are a different story. By running race gas in a modern 4-stroke, you can get about the same power increase as you could by installing an aftermarket exhaust.
-Nick

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Braahp said:
Maybe I should try some.

I think you'll be pretty impressed with their capabilities. :thumb:

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Just remember Braap, once you down that road, you can never go back. You will always be looking for the next level of performance. (Like there isn't enough to do to a bike besides mess with different gas)
IMHO I would not recommend race gas to anyone not well versed in jetting. Only with a working knowledge of what you need to look for in the plug, will you be able to realize the full potential of race fuel without possibly damaging the engine.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
I spent many years with jetskis and encountered numerous seizures. I used to jet and rejet until I was blue in the face. I've tried it ALL. Its amazing how much money and time I waasted in search of an extra 20 rpm. Although still always looking for that edge, I tend now to not tinker so much with dirtbikes and just simply go out and RIDE! Working on my riding skills will get me much further than an extra hp or two.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Ah! then you know. It gets to be almost like an addiction. For me, the only way I was able to finally quit playing with the jetting was to standardize my fuel. I chose VP C-12, following the advice I read here on DRN. Now those b@stards at VP go and develop Ultimate 2! Since I am right at the edge with my jetting using C-12, I know U-2 will be too lean without starting over again.
And reading your philosiphy, Braahp, reminds me (again, thank you) the reason I ride in the first place. So, for now, no U-2 and more miles on the trail.

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
C-12 is great stuff! I haven't tried the U-2 either. Usually ran Red in the bikes, until a ran some C-12 from my Karts in there....What a great fuel. The pushmower loves it too! :)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…