jat250wr

Nov 18, 2005
So it seems I’ve lost my mind and I decided to try another race. This time instead of a 100 mile desert race (45 miles x 2 laps) I competed (if that’s what you can call it, lol) in a hare scramble (10.3 miles x 2 hrs).

At the riders meeting I find out I’m the only girl racing. Yikes. I then give a whimper when they ask what class I wanna start in and I opt with the C class so as to not get run over, lol.

We all ride to where the start is and wouldn’t you know it’s kinda off camber; the side that I need to get my left foot steady on is lower than the other. Well, crap, this sucks lol. I try to figure how I’m gonna kick the bike over when I can hardly get my foot on the kick starter, lol. I think next time I’ll bring a chunk of wood or something. Due to the awkward leg position, the bike doesn’t kick over 1st kick, but it does on the second and then I’m off and then realize I forgot to put the big orange triangle on the back of my helmet … just kidding, lol.

The course had lotsa hard pack whoops, hill climbs, tight twisty ravines, and 2 steep long downhills. I managed to slip off the back end on one super short steep hill climb. Wish I woulda paid more attention cuz off to the right was a way around it and it was also faster if I’m not mistaken. I made sure to take this route on the laps following.

I also had one tip over in a tight ravine. I had a faster rider behind me and I knew he wanted around. There really wasn’t a clean spot to pull over, so I spazzed & just tipped over to the right. Worked perfectly, he scooted right by, lol. I couldn’t have tipped over in a better spot, cuz the bike was hardly even laid over. I fell to the high side and just used my leg to push me back up. The bike kicked over first kick & I was off again … laughing and telling myself … jeez I’m a spaz. Did I happen to mention I look like a 9 year old on a bike? Sweet.

I did end up loosing a lot of time due to the short course and faster riders. I had to keep pulling over/slowing down to let everyone by. So, I only finished 4 laps in the time limit.
Pathetic, lol.

A couple of my friends were workin the race. So I made it a point to give them some rude & vile gestures each time I went by. They responded with the same enthusiasm, lol.
I even got a lot of support from the crowd and check point people. That was sure nice. Good confidence booster.

I’m curious to see how I placed overall. Obviously I’ll be at the end of the pack, but would like to compare the results to the Oreanna race.

I was awfully glad that we switched back to the stiffer stock spring Saturday afternoon. Running the softer spring felt like I couldn’t attack the whoops very well. With the stiffer spring and a few minor adjustments, the KTM tracked extremely well through the whoops and pretty much everything else.

There’s a WORCS race on the 31st of March in Payette that I may try also. And another hare scramble I think April 15th. Think I’ll try that too. Guess as long as I’m having fun, meeting new people, and learning a thing or two, how I place isn’t that important, lol.

Last edited:

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Nice race report. Sounds like a good time. Up here we always encourage the girls to come out and race, and we're slowly getting more. Good job. :cool:

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
jat250wr said:
I’m off and then realize I forgot to put the big orange triangle on the back of my helmet … just kidding, lol.

Great ride report....sounds like you had a super time :cool:

You made my day with the "orange triangle" ... too funny, if I use the sign in a future scramble, I'll give you credit! :rotfl:

Ken

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Sounds like you had a great time :cool:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
jat250wr said:
I need to learn how to ride. :laugh:

71st :rotfl:

1st or 71st = big smiles :cool:

There is always someone faster then you (just don't tell my kids that about me ;) ) the important thing is to have fun and stay safe.

mbaird

May 25, 2006
I am going to try the Idaho City ISDE this year and I hope my attitude is as good as yours.

I took my little kids down the face at Bogus (skiing) a few weeks ago and told them " I don't care if you ski, slide, fall
or roll down it. You can look back up and say "I made it !!"

jat250wr

Nov 18, 2005
Good luck at Idaho City.

We'll probably camp somewhere out there. The bf plans to race and I'll just drink the beer. :laugh:

Maybe next year I'll give Idaho City a try.

Top Bottom