Radiator fins removed

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
The protective fins in front of the radiator fell off from the left side, so I also removed the right side one to see if it would run cooler.
Today I took a female friend for a ride in the hills and I didn't feel any heat from the shrouds like I normally do.
Has anyone else had the same experience?

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Budd's Creek's woods stole one of my fins, and I took the other one off. I haven't felt any heat difference, but I'm a little worried about something going through the radiator.

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
Did you find any horsepower gains? What about the reduced weight? Did you notice you could tweek the bike way easier in the air?

I've thought about a mod like this for a long time, but I'm not brave enough to try it myself, just incase I can't handle the power and weight difference.

Jon!

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
YZeater, of course the fins should be there for protection from damage and from mud clogging the radiator. But when I ride alone on hot dusty days I may just leave them bare if it seems it is making a difference in heat dissipation.

Boot

Jun 11, 2002
When I was in the market for a bike I looked at a WR(YZ)250 that had been run without the plastic protection fins for a few years. The radiators were utterly destroyed by flying stones. Honestly, they were a bashed-in mess. It had happened so gradually that the owner hadn't been motivated enough to do anything about it. Come sale time, though, he was really regretting it. Radiators are not cheap and I know he had trouble unloading that bike.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
jmutiger, the fins that everyone is talking about I think weigh atmost half a pound for both. You wouldnt notice any hp gains because there are none. Wont handle any differently in the air. You wouldnt have any problems handling the power gain or weight loss because there are none.

Simon Fuller

May 17, 2001
Glitch, thanks for clearing that up. I was just about to rip out to the garage to take mine off, I was also going to remove the shrouds too to save even more weight! ;)

motodawg

Sponsoring Member
May 1, 2002
I've seen riders lose these at MX tracks and without them to guide more airflow through the radiator motocross bikes will overheat. Heat robs horsepower. :| Also, if you've ever priced a radiator, they are an obvious necessity to help guard against rocks and such.

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
Glitch,

I know that and you know that, but the question and the joke at hand was did Jaguar know that?

(I was poking fun after his little Splitfire thread).. Perhaps his plug did allow his bike to run better.. Perhaps the plug coming out of the bike wasn't working right, just maybe.

Jon!

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
Jon, of course I knew that. But being of an open mind I am not afraid to try new things and report them, if if it is something ditsy like not worrying about replacing a lost radiator protector. If you like to poke fun at anyone that isn't a conventional "brick in the wall" (ie: Pink Floyd) then please keep it up but the real joke is on you. If all society was made of sheep like you then we'd all still be in caves. please grow up.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…