Radiator leaking

KX125pinball

Jul 28, 2002
I just bought a second hand radiator because my old one is screwed. It leaks cooloant at the bottom. Is it worth to fix it up woth putty or should i just get send it back and get another one?

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
How badly is it leaking? If it is only dripping out slowly you can stick some RadWeld in with the coolant and it will seal up the hole easily...

KX125pinball

Jul 28, 2002
It's cracked along the mouting bracket. I decided to send it back becuase i think the crack will spread if i stack the bike!!!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by KX125pinball
if i stack the bike!!!
stack? You mean crash? I must be old... :think:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
KX125pinball
Rather then send it back take it to a local automotive shop. If the crack is relatively easy to get to they can braze the seam. A while back I helped out this guy restoring a '70's era Scout II who couldn't afford a new radiator by sealing a leak on the seam with JB Weld. A pretty nice trade off for about $4.50 US. ;) But you did mention it was on a mount so I would go with the brazing option :yeehaw:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I fixed a hole in my friends CR radiator with JB Weld about 3 years ago... It is still working. Brazing is a good option for cracks on brass radiators however your radiator is probably made of Aluminum. I bought this stuff called ALUMALOY that allows you to weld aluminum using nothing more than a propane torch. I haven't had an occasion to use it yet but it works on what I've seen.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by MikeT
Brazing is a good option for cracks on brass radiators however your radiator is probably made of Aluminum.

;) Jeeeezzze! Thanks Mike! I am still working on my first cup of coffee, nice save!

Phillip

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…