Feb 25, 2001
With falling ofcoarse the harder you ride the harder you fall. As I get faster I fear that hard fall. My majority of falls are on landings of jumps due to bad judgement and or wind or body changes in air. So I guess you can amagine comming from 20 feet in the air for a big jump and being sideways and knowing you wont straighten out soon enough. The other type of falls I take are comming into a corner to fast and slipping which are usually no big deal I usually can keep the motor running and get right back up. But ofcoarse out of the two major types of falls I take when racing mx its gonna be the ones falling from the sky. What about you guys if you could sum it up into 2 catagories ?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Man I HATE those whoops types. They are my nemisis. I did a 9.5 in some deep arenacross whoops last year. (ouch)

Feb 25, 2001
You know I rarely every fall just going down a straighaway and hitting a bump and highsiding or getting cross rutted...or even running off the track and falling. Its always the landing the jumps wrong. Which is very scary to me and makes you very hesitent to get back in the saddle

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
My last "worst" get off was a 10 compared to my others which I would now rate as a 1 maybe a 1.5....... Whoops make for hard landings and imagine crashing off a jump would be bad also... but I think speed is the biggie in making or "braking" you in a crash........

bud

Jun 29, 1999
I usually mamange to lowside in a corner at least once a ride. No injuries or bike damage 99% of the time. I like to think my corner speed is constantly improving, and that crashing in corners is just part of the process of getting faster. No serious crashes in 18 months or so until the last one where I broke my collarbone :(.

I never crash on jumps because I don't do mx. I do lots of jumps but they are mostly small and low risk. The biggest jumps I do are 50 footers or so, not very often getting more than 5' off the ground.

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
ALL of my good crashes(the ones that I can't walk away from) are in whoops or landings. Broken collar bone, fingers, concussions, and most recently(sunday) 600 dollars worth of damage while trying to do a really technical table top that has a turn in it. Oh well, live and learn. At least I am not hurt.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I don't even have to crash to hurt myself.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I hate crashes where my front wheel slips out and down I go. Going over the handle bars rates a close second. Most of my falls are a combination of one and two. Wet logs also cause many crashes for me.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
I very rarely fall, and most of those are in slow corners. I used to have a bunch of too-much-gas-on-exit, but have learnt to regulate that. When I was learning to jump I once came down nose low and did a weird nose tucked under endo thing.

I think my best was a 4th gear high-side on the CR5 in an extremely fast kink.

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
What about the woods riders

My worst injuries are from running into trees. The last one and the worst one ended up with me being stopped in mid air by a tree in the crotch ( I had already bailed from the bike). Lets just say I'm not quite as ballsy as I used to be.

Neal

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
My worst get-off was my first one. Had to drive myself to the hospital, whish wasn't fun. Since then I've never been over the bars, usually on really gnarly uphills/downhills...

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I would rate my falls a 10 because when I fall I need surgery.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I don't crash often and rarely hard. Three years ago, got out of shape on a jump face (sideways) that is just out of a right hander, landed with the left grip on a fence pole (actually the tire on the pole)... seperated me from the bike pretty qucik! Broke my wrist.

Last one, front pushed, fell off. No biggie, but messed up something in my elbow, still painful 7 weeks later... guess I'll have to get an x-ray. :(

jly51

Mar 5, 2001
I`ve had some pretty harry crashes in my 30+ riding-racing years but the one last sunday did the most damage,spiral break of the tibia just above the ankle,also broke the small bone.It`s not the crash that get`s you,it`s the landing.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
(No flames please)

I could care less about myself, but the worst wipeout I had, was a couple weeks ago. Me and the 4 y/o son went down pretty hard through some rough stuff, & knocked the wind out of him....:o

Damn if that's just not the worst feeling.

He's a bit reluctant to get back on the horse now.:think

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
1 to 10 on the richter scale????

Being as i play ride (no racing) i dont crash too often either.
Last one was about 5 years ago in Pa..
Riding along the trail i saw 2 dirt piles (sorta looked like a double) and thought id take a stab at it.
(foolish thing to do on a XL500R)
Hit the first one in third gear, and i think the engine hiccuped or somthing.
Whatever it was it threw everything off and i cased the second pile pretty hard.
Threw me off the bike and banged me up pretty bad.
I was picking up the bike when this guy comes around the corner, jumps off his bike and says: "hey, are you alright?"
Me : "Yea, i'll live...i think."
Him : "gee, i felt you wreck before i got to that last turn!"
Me : "you FELT it???"
Him : "yea, a vibration or something. glad your o.k. though."

o.k. time for the fat jokes............:think :confused:

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
Kawi, was that your new bike with $2500 in motor mods? The must suck! What was wrecked on your bike? Post a picture of it on your bike. And I thought I had a disaster on MY hands.:)

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
I think my most painful wreck was during a creek crossing. The water was very murky, so I couldn't see the bottom. The front wheel found a hole that was the exact same size as the wheel, stopping all forward motion of the bike. Unfortunately, my forward motion did not stop quite as quickly, until the gas cap stopped me by forcefully lodging against the "jewels":eek: . I have to admit, that cold water felt mighty good while I was laying in it crying like a little baby...:(

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I'm between 5" 4 and 5"3" soo....

most of my falls are related to sticking my leg out to catch myself and not having enough inseam to make the dab and over I go. It really sucks when working on new trail for events. I stick my foot out to work the bars through two saplings and end up picking up my bike.

Top Bottom