pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
Ive just started to repair my third rat chew of electrical wires and would like assistance from any source as to why rats chew wires so it can be prevented. I know work is work and I am greatful for continued employment etc etc etc. all three instances are on the same model atv, it is fuel injected and has a battery and a capacitor back up to allow pull starting. all three attacks are very near the ecu and battery. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: Much more of this and I'll turn into an old ford v8 (wanted to have 8 but only allowed 1 bank of icons)

Last edited:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
pepper spray :cool:

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
Thanks I'll give it a go, but do I have to spray them in the eyes like on the cop shows or will the residue keep them away

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Pics please if you put hand cuffs on them? Honestly, what drives the rats or mice to eat the plastic? Surely not food, so it must be housing? Usually they get the air filter when left too long unattended. Vintage Bob

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
just plug the wires to 220v volts and let the party begin :p
a mouse trap located near the battery may be usefull as well :laugh:

now seriously, old tale is that pepper smell use to drive away some "brands" of mouses. never use it.

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
But it wont help with tigers
Tigers love pepper but they hate cinnamon

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
By the way that the copper is so chewed up I'm guessing that tooth length control is also a factor. ( they must chew something hard to keep their teeth short enough to servive)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
I read somewhere it's the silicone in the wire coating that attracts them. My neighbor had a Corvette and they would eat the injector wires down to the injectors. Didn't leave enough wire to splice to. He had to replace the injectors every time. :bang:

Get a cat. ;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I've found that wiping the insulator with ammonia or chlorine bleach will discourage rats, squirels etc. If something will sit for a while soak a shop rag in either one and leave it on the engine or in the air box and they will steer clear.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
I grew up with mice in our house every winter. My parent's house is literally on the banks of the Mississippi river.

10 or more years ago, my Dad started buying plastic owls. He hung some outside, put a couple inside the garage, (which is a drive-in, into the basement.) I thought it was a lame idea, honestly, never thought it would work.

It does, period. Lots of gaps, here and there, plenty of space for a mouse to squeeze in.

Have not seen one in years. :yikes:

Farm & Fleet, or other farm supply stores sell them. Obviously for a reason! :cool: :nod:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Yep the owls work but I've found you have to move them around every week or so. The little vermin ignore them after a while otherwise.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
RM_guy said:
Yep the owls work but I've found you have to move them around every week or so. The little vermin ignore them after a while otherwise.
You must have smarter mice where you are, RM Guy!

Mine haven't been moved for years. The ones outside are hung, so they move in the wind some. They don't fool the birds, though. They'll nest right next to them!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I saw a mouse run right past one of my fake owls. I think it may have flipped the bird at it as he passed ;)

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
Thanks to all who had ideas or suggestions, New Zealand has no tigers so cinnamon wont be required and unfortunately owls are in short supply ( and if you do find one its no bigger than a rat ) so I'll go with the pepper spray and also plenty of rat bait a short distance away from the bike (as most poisons have an attractant to draw the vermin in) If I can get the cuffs on any vermin and take a mug shot or two I'll be sure to ciculate them for approval.
another bike has come in and it has chewing on the battery terminal insulators so the silicon may well be the target of vermin taste buds

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Perhaps you missed the word 'Plastic' in front of the 'owl!'

Googe can be your friend, too! :nod:

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
I come on Ken, the owls kept flying away?
Nope, tied 'em down with a wire! ;)

Top Bottom