WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Don't know if this stuff made it on DRN or not. It was a couple of e-mails I received when I was on a business trip. Granted most of the riders trespassing are on ATV's. I'm not sure how most of you feel about this stuff, although the guy does have a point when it comes to trespassing, he's definitely taking "his" cause to the extreme. Bottom line, be aware of where you are riding.

Note: I (hopefully) deleted all e-mail addresses referenced below to prevent adding more fuel to an already volatile situation.

---Woods

Stakes raised in ATV fight

Grafton-- Landowner Mark Ferran wants riders to stay off his property

By ALAN WECHSLER, Staff writer
First published: Thursday, May 23, 2002

This week Mark Ferran laid down the law. Specifically, he taped it up at Town Hall, the local library and the general store.

What he posted on Tuesday were notices to local all-terrain vehicle users and their parents, listing various state laws that permit the use of physical force to prevent people from escaping from the custody of a citizen's arrest.

Ferran, now in his seventh year of trying to keep ATV riders off his 300 acres of woods, is trying a new tactic: a disposable camera in one hand, a can of pepper spray in the other. He said he intends to photograph the face of everyone he catches riding through his land.

And the pepper spray? Ferran, who said he has been physically threatened over the years, maintains that it's now only for protection. But he also said he may have to start using the spray if riders refuse to take off their face masks and helmets and submit to having their pictures taken.

"I just wanted to let them know the rules of engagement,'' he said, "because they seem to keep wanting to come back for more.''

The problem of ATV use on private property is common in rural areas around the state, although many landowners do not object to ATVs riding through their woods. Ferran, 32, an unemployed law-school graduate who lives in Albany, takes the situation more seriously than most.

His family has owned the Grafton land for 30 years. He was arrested in 2000 for shooting out, with a shotgun, the front tire of an aggressive ATV rider. The charge was dismissed, but last summer he was arrested again and charged with reckless endangerment, a misdemeanor, after he laid planks with protruding nail-tips in puddles along the trails on his property. That charge is pending.

Ferran said he's tried everything from reasoning with trespassers to putting up signs, digging holes, felling trees and dumping rocks. Nothing has kept off-roaders from riding through his land, which happens to be a link to hundreds of miles of trails that wind through several states.

He said he's been trying to "educate'' ATV riders as to his right to demand they take off their masks and be photographed. But trespassers don't appear to be getting the lesson.

"I was punched last time I physically arrested someone on my property,'' he said.

One ATV advocate said he thought Ferran was behaving dangerously.

"I think shooting at people and citizen's arrests are extremely harmful to the safety of society,'' said Alex Ernst, spokesman for the New York State Off-Highway Recreational Vehicle Association. "It puts the landowner in grave danger.''

Ernst said he's been working with the state Legislature to try and get money to establish ATV trails, like the huge network that exists for snowmobiles in New York. He said such a selection might encourage more ATV owners to register their vehicles and obey state laws. He also encourages the state to give money to local police to buy ATVs for patrolling the woods.

There are an estimated 250,000 ATVs in New York, about 30 percent of which are registered. The state has more than 75 clubs, but many users prefer to ride on their own.

Ernst said he and officials from other motorized-vehicle recreation groups have given up trying to deal with Ferran.

"Here's a landowner who's got an understandable problem. He's at his wit's end, there's no doubt about it,'' Ernst said. But "he's taking this way beyond even my level of obsession.''

You may have received a copy of this Ferran e-mail, and it seems he is at it again spamming the Club's email addresses as posted on the Clublist.htm page, so I wanted to remind all of you not to react or respond to this fellow as you are only asking for trouble. I fear that this guy is really hoping he will have the opportunity to shoot a rider someday based on the NYS laws he cites, and it has been suggested that he is practicing Law without a license to do so by sending around this "legal advice."

Again, just delete and ignore when you receive from Mark Ferran. Resist the urge to reply.

An article published this morning in Albany following the saga about Ferran is located at http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyKey=83394&category=C

Alex Ernst

>From:

>To:

>Subject: Subj: NOTICE TO ATV-RIDERS and their PARENTS Please give serious consideratio

>Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 16:31:30 EDT

>

>Subj: NOTICE TO ATV-RIDERS and their PARENTS

>

> Please give serious consideration to forwarding or posting the following

>Notice to all persons who ride, or who allow their children to ride ATVs in

>the State of New York. All ATV-riders (and parents) should be aware of this.

> Thousands of farmers and other landowners in NY aware of it. The conflict

>now existing between landowners and ATV-trespassers has reached a greater

>magnitude than that of the Historic conflict between the barbed-wire farmers

>and the free-range cattlemen of the old west (See, musical Oklahoma). The

>dynamics are the same, the laws are the same, and the stakes are the same.

>We should all proceed under a common understanding of rules of engagement, so

>no-one misunderstands what is going on during personal encounters between

>trespasers and landowners (and so would-be trespassers learn to avoid them

>altogether), so that no-one has to suffer serious physical injury, as has

>occurred in other states.

>

>NOTICE TO ATV-RIDERS

>and their

>PARENTS

>It is important that parents who allow their children to operate ATVs shall

>know and explain the Law to them.

>"To operate an ATV on private land, you must have permission of the land

>owner or lessee." http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c29.htm

> Every landowner in New York State has the legal right to stop and to ARREST

>any person who operates an ATV on private land without the owner's consent,

>regardless of whether the private land is "posted" or not! Vehicle & Traffic

>Law § 2403(3); VTL § 155; Penal Law 10.00(2); CPL § 140:30(1)(b). (A

>landowner may also arrest a person Hunting without permission on POSTED

>land.) "Criminal Procedure Law §§ 140.10, 140.25 and 140.30 provide broad

>authority for police officers, peace officers and "any person," respectively,

>to make arrests without warrants in defined circumstances. " NY Attorney

>General Opinion http://www.oag.state.ny.us/lawyers/opinions/2000_1.html

>A landowner has MORE authority than a Police Officer to ENTER his POSTED land

>and to ARREST a trespassing ATV-rider, hunter, or other trespasser found

>thereon . http://www.law.cornell.edu/ny/ctap/079_0474.htm Cf. PL s.

>140.15(4).

> Criminal Procedure Law section 140.35 ordains that: "1. A person

>[e.g., landowner] may arrest another person for an offense pursuant to

>section 140.30 at any hour of any day or night. 2. Such person must inform

>the person whom he is arresting of the reason for such arrest unless he

>encounters physical resistance, flight or other factors rendering such

>procedure impractical. 3. In order to effect such an arrest, such person may

>use such physical force as is justifiable pursuant to subdivision four of

>section 35.30 of the penal law. http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?cl=25&a=22

> Penal Law sec. 35.30(4) ordains: "A private person acting on his own

>account may use physical force, other than deadly physical force, upon

>another person when and to the extent that he reasonably believes such to be

>necessary to effect an arrest or to prevent the escape from custody of a

>person whom he reasonably believes to have committed an offense and who in

>fact has committed such offense; and he may use deadly physical force for

>such purpose when he reasonably believes such to be necessary to:(a) Defend

>himself or a third person from what he reasonably believes to be the use or

>imminent use of deadly physical force."

> This Means: A landowner may stop and arrest a trespasser by displaying a

>rifle, shotgun, or other deadly weapon.

>http://www.prairielaw.com/articles/article.asp?channelId=8&articleId=1329 See

>also http://www.courts.state.me.us/01me91gl.pdf "The right of a law

>enforcement officer [or a private citizen] to make an arrest necessarily

>carries with it the right to use some degree of physical coercion or threat

>thereof to effect it." Frazell v. Flanigan, 102 F.3d 877 (7th Cir. 1996),

>quoting Graham v. Connor, 490 U.S. 386, 396 (1989).

>"Private citizens arresting trespassers on their property can use any means

>'up to and including the threat of deadly force, but not the use of deadly

>force' [to prevent the escape from custody]."

>http://www.counterpunch.org/pipermail/counterpunch-list/2000-May/000341.html

> However: If an ATV-rider or other person attempts to run-over or

>otherwise attack the landowner while he is effecting an arrest, the landowner

>has NO DUTY TO RETREAT (PL 35.10(6), and may lawfully "use deadly physical

>force" (e.g., shoot to maim or kill) if "he reasonably believes such to be

>necessary to defend himself" from such a vehicular assault or other deadly

>assault. (PL 35.30(4)) A trespasser duly arrested by a landowner has NO

>LEGAL RIGHT TO RESIST THE ARREST NOR TO ESCAPE CUSTODY, and has only the

>right to be "delivered" promptly "to the custody of an appropriate police

>officer." CPL 140.40 The Police Officer will "notify the parent" CPL

>140.40(5), and may arrest the parent- as "owner of the ATV" operated without

>liability insurance. VTL-2407(4). The police officer "must bring him, on

>behalf of the arresting person, before an appropriate local criminal court"

>or "may issue and serve an appearance ticket upon the arrested person and

>release him from custody." CPL 140.40.

>NYS Trooper Richard A. Bango (Brunswick, NY Barracks) stated that a landowner

>may effectively arrest an ATV-rider by seizing the ATV-rider's ID (e.g.,

>Driver's License) and seeing and/or photographing his face. If a masked

>ATV-rider resists arrest by refusing to remove his helmet and be

>photographed, the helmet can be forcibly removed from him, and/or he may be

>hand-cuffed and "delivered," with the aid of pepper-spray or other necessary

>"physical force." 35.30(4). Penal Law sections 35.30(4), 35.10(6) and 265.20

>specifically provide that a landowner is authorized to "use" "tear gas,

>pepper [spray] or similar disabling agent" upon a trespasser if necessary "in

>defense of himself ..., or in defense of premises [i.e., land], or ... in

>order to effect an arrest or prevent an escape from custody." (PL sec.

>35.10(6)). http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?cl=82&a=68

>http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?cl=82&a=12 . Penal Law section 35.05, CPL

>Article 140 and People v. Kane (142 N.Y. 366, 37 N.E. 104 and 131 N.Y. 111)

>prescribe that a landowner is also "authorized by law" to "destroy" the

>"instrument of trespass," (e.g., damage the trespassing ATV) either to simply

>"prevent or terminate" the trespass, or to facilitate arrest, or to prevent

>"physical resistance, flight" or "to prevent the escape from custody."

>WARNING: An ATV-rider's failure to promptly and peacefully comply with a

>landowner's directions to STOP, TURN OFF the ATV's ENGINE, reveal his face,

>and produce ID, and/or be "delivered" to the police, may necessitate a lawful

>use of physical force by the landowner, including but not limited to use of

>Tear Gas, Pepper Spray, and Hand-Cuffs upon the operator, and/or the use of

>vehicle-disabling (e.g., tire-deflating or engine-destroying) tools.

>Respect the Law.

>http://www.givemeliberty.org/spotlights/archive/March1999/markferran.htm

>

>For further information about ATV trespass and Citizen's Arrest, see:

>http://www.municipalworld.com/discuss/messages/7384.htm

>

>The author of this Notice is a NY Forest Landowner who practices what he

>preaches in Rensselaer County, NY, and can be contacted by email at

>

>Mark Ferran BSEE scl JD mcl

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
why can't people just ask permission to ride first? I understand it limits you ability to ride but trespassing is trespassing in my book and it make us all look bad. :think:

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Why won't people stay off the guy's land? Are they just looking for trouble? Is there some trait inherent in quad riders that makes them feel they are above the law? It all comes back to what was stated in another thread. No one wants to be responsible for his own actions. The landowner is wrong because he wants quads to stay off his property? Ridiculous. :silly:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Thast guy just can't stay out of the news. I don't blame him for wanting to keep ATVs off his land but there's got to be better ways to do it. I don't doubt that by now the local ATV comunity see him as a challange and just like to get a rise out of him. Unfourtunatly they are hurting the reputation of the rest of us.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
He also encourages the state to give money to local police to buy ATVs for patrolling the woods

Thought that seemed a little funny. Maybe a454elk can convince his people to get him a .. something? CR500AF?

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Im not sure whos worse: The clueless, irresponsible QUAD riders, or some moron with a shotgun looking for a fight. Maybe if this idiot got a real job in a law firm, he might have better things to do with his time, and he wouldnt be so miserable as to chase the other fools away. The ATV'ers are no doubt going to try and %$&@* with this guy to no end.

Im kind of split on this since I myself have had to take down several deer blinds over the years on my property in Monticello. Im especially pissed off when hunters leave cases of empty beer cans, and food wrappers in my woods. :think:

Such is life when you live and ride in New York State.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I have to adgree with the others-if someone constantly tresspassed on my land i would be angry-just because we have bikes and like to ride it does not justify tresspass.It doesnt matter if there is 9 billion acres of riding area on the other side of his land, we have no right of way.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
There are better ways to control the ATV poplulation on your ground (er, call the sheriff?), but I do understand where the guy is coming from. I always ask permission, or I stay off it. Simple as that.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Ferran said he's tried everything from reasoning with trespassers to putting up signs, digging holes, felling trees and dumping rocks. Nothing has kept off-roaders from riding through his land, which happens to be a link to hundreds of miles of trails that wind through several states

It sounds like he has tried to be fair, and now the gloves are off! :scream:

Yet :think: I wonder about a nice solid fence. With a hot wire, or the type you have for your dogs that tells you when it's been cut :aj:

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Hate to say this but i feel for the guy. I put a track on my parents 70 acres for my friends and i to ride on. Posted the crap out of it, placed a barbed wire fence around it and now putting a pipe gate up. We have a gasline that runs thru the property which my parents dont mind people riding on to get to the different trails (being they own a quad and i ride). I have to constantly throw people off the track or fix damage to the property from the quads tearing it up. Matter of fact i just spend my day off trying to smooth out a 200' x 20' section of the farm field that 30 or so (never seen before) quads tore up this weekend after the rains. The main trail was muddy so they deceided to us our crop field as a path. :think: What do you do? Shut down the whole property because of a few? Fence in the property (which would cost a fortune) and allow certian people to place pad locks on the gates? I get so frustrated too that a nice shot gun to the front tire sounds pretty good! ;)

Hate to be a prick since i like to ride and would hate to have my other riding areas shut down but you can only take so much crap.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
While growing up and living in Maine we had tract's of property that ajoined powerlines that where prime riding grounds for both Summer and Winter users. We faced the same problems as this land owner but accepted it as a fact of life. In some area's we did take the offensive to save new groth trees. Being old farmland(Early 1800's) there where many old stone walls around the tract. Problem was in certain areas the walls had fallen or been assisted in making openings for tresspassers. Hence we were trying to protect the tree lot we put the waste, usually brush and unusable limbs in the gaps sort of like crude walls. It worked really well and didn't have a problem. Just a side note........Any one that had the courtacy to knock on the door got free run of all the acerage for hunting or riding and fishing. :cool:

Just asking does wonders. :aj:

Tree Crippler

Jun 8, 2000
A couple of weeks ago , after riding in a new area we came to a fence across the trail. We turned around thinking we hit a boundary. A guy was running across a field at us so we took off. Two of the guys didn't get by him. The guy was just trying to tell us how to get around his fence and where we could ride. First instinct is always take off! There is no excuse for knowingly trespassing.

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
sounds like a jerk on a power trip to me. Im sure having some offroad vehicles drive across his 300 acres has completely and unfairly ruined his entire life. :moon:

or is he just letting it

its woods! someone needs to get a life!

actually the joke is on him, when he's finally done with his great battle against the off road vehicles, maybe he will stop and think, I could have been doing something usefull with my life all this time!

by the way I do not support unlawful riding, I just think this guy is going overboard.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
goes to show a few bad apples ruin it for the rest! STAY ON THE LEGAL TRAILS. quite giving us woods riders a bad name. take out what you bring in.

cak2003

Jun 12, 2002
THE STATE SHOULD JUST BUY THE LAND OFF THE GUY AND MAKE TLEGAL TO RIDE ON FOR THE REST OF US, A MILLION DOLLARS WOULS SATIFY THE GUY, DOWN WITH THE @SSHOLE..!!!!!!!

Pit_Monkey

May 19, 2001
i hate ppl like that. i ride at the sane pits during the summer months. i respect the wishes and the rights of the factory workers and the land owners in the area by only riding there on sundays and some saturdays. never early never late. every once in a while we get a cop that comes down because some a-hole called the cops top complain. they are ppl that live on main roads where harley's and mustang's that are louder than my bike, go by all the time and yet they feel that my 2-3 hrs of off and on high pitch bike riding is so disturbing to their life. i can see where this guy ios coming from only from the perspective that this is his land and if he doesnt want ppl on it then they should respect his wishes. however, its 300 acres of WOODS!!!! he probably doesnt use it for anything and he has nothing better to do with his time. maybe if he got a bike or quad and found out how much fun it is he would spend more time making friends than enemies. as far as the way he is handling it, if someone shot out the front tire of my bike id beat hte living $h!t out of them!!!!! tresspassing or not that is obsurd.
these are my thoughts i cant wait to see more outlooks on this topic.

Top Bottom