MARC

May 8, 2002
Just bought a new 2001 carryover KDX 200 and noticed right away that the engine has a fairly noticeable rattle at certain rpm levels and was looking for some input from other owners of the KDX to find out if this is normal for this bike of if I got a lemon and should take it back to the dealer. Rattle present at idle, goes away at what I would estimate to be about 2k rpm, quite noticeable again when lugging the motor or rolling on the throttle even the slightest amount. The sound of the engine reminds me of the old 2 stroke enduro yamahas of the early 70's. Anyone else seeing this? The bike is brand new with a total of maybe 20 minutes of super easy riding on it so I realize it's not even close to broken in yet, but is unusual to me. Up here in Minnesota we have been riding the green ZR AC's in the winter for years (read that as Arctic Cat) and have never experienced a new 2 stroke motor as noisey as this. Sounds like the piston rocking in the bore to me, is the piston forged? If it is that would explain some of the noise. Have also read from several of you that the tranny is noisey on this bike, the sight window is just below half and maybe needs more oil to quiet it down? Maybe the noise goes away after it's broke in?? Anyone's input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Welcome to KDX ownership! They have noisy engines, and you are not the first to question it. Do a search on "rattle" or "knock".

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Noisy

I just intstalled a new Wiseco piston & rings ['99 KDX220 with very few miles] and it's horribly noisy. So much so I'm probably going to tear it down and mic the piston & bore. I was afraid that I'd not mixed enough oil in the first couple of tanks. Another KDX owner commented on the knocking, then said that's normal!! The clutch also rattles loudly upon engaging it.

MARC

May 8, 2002
B rush, appreciate the quick response, as I figured, just normal rattling noises for this enging, but nice to hear from others so I know I'm not the only one experiencing this. Gonna go out and run the you know what out of it after it's broke in!

vandean

Feb 19, 2002
BRING IT BACK TO THE DEALER.If it's still uder warrantee then get it checked out.I shouldn't offer too much advice as I am one who hasn't much experience other than bad so far however my engine didn't make much noise as you are describing until I ran it without oil(yes you read that right) Get it looked at !!!!

MARC

May 8, 2002
Robcolo, If you bought a Wiseco piston it is most likely forged. I was told years ago by an old but very knowledgeable snowmobile racer that forged pistons are slightly smaller than a cast piston and the forged items expand as they warm up. Hence your extra noise, especailly when the engine is cold. You should find if you mic a forged versus a cast piston the forged should be slightly smaller and will make more noise untill the engine warms up. One thing the old racer was very atimate about was, make sure the engine is good and warm before you get on it or you will likely blow the circlips out of the piston and obviously you wont be happy with the results it brings.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Alos glad to hear this is normal. Just picked up an immaculate '97 200, and it also rattles at idle. The guy I bought it from had two--a'97(Ibought it, was cleaner) and a '99 and they were both noisy. It takes a while for mine to clean out and warm-up,too. Is this fairly common also?

MARC

May 8, 2002
Stan, even though mine is new, I have already noticed besides the rattle, that the bike also seems to take a while to warm up an clean out. This is fine with me as being a sled head riding in cold weather, I am used to letting the engine warm up good with no more than half throttle before I jump on it hard. ( we ask these things to start in -20 weather!!! Are we nuts or what?) My theory is, better to take a little extra time and let it warm up insted of blow up!!

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
stan, with proper jetting, a KDX should not take unusually long (what's "unusual" to you?) to clean out after a cold start. Have you looked at the jetting writeup on the JustKDX site?

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
I think it's jetted properly, it's all stock, only airbox lid removed. I would think the jetting might be off if it didn't run right after warming up, but once cleaned out, runs great!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom