Rausch Creek GNCC: How hard was it?

hockeyboy

Oct 13, 2003
The Rausch Creek GNCC was my first race in 20 years. Most of the course was hard but enjoyable. However there was a 2 mile section on the back third that was tight and extremly rocky. The only way I can describe this section would be compare it to riding on a broken down stone wall only 3 feet wide. My question is, how does this course compare to other enduro, or hare scrambles courses. I live in the North East and would probably do most of my racing there. Thanks for any help.

Draybob

~SPONSOR~
Sep 29, 2002
Rocks! In Pennsylvania?! :yikes:

I can't speak for the Hare Scrambles in New York, but if you come down to PA you will most likely deal with rocks. Everywhere I've trail riden here has had plenty of rocks. If you're in western NY you might try Western New York Off Road Association. They have a forum where you could ask the same question and get a good idea of what they have to offer up there.

By the way, I'm new to racing Hare Scrambles this year and at 39 years old I had no idea how grueling it would be. Right now I'm just trying to finish each race, learn a little more each time I go out, and have fun with my son who is racing the Pee Wee level.

I also trail ride up on the land you raced on this weekend and I'm pretty sure I know the "rock garden" trail you are talking about. I don't think that length of rock garden is typical, but from what I've learned from conversation with some of the seasoned vets out there, that type of section in shorter lengths is not uncommon at all.

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
There is a good mix here in the northeast. A good percentage is rocky. There are a few races every year at that GNCC venue. There will be a National Harescramble on 8/15 near that location and another ECEA Harescramble and Enduro in a couple weeks. Terrian can have rock gardens with round beachball style rocks, flat shale and loose or those sharp edged killer rocks. WNYOA races have typical terrain, some tracks are more farmland. Other areas will have less rock but alot of roots.

My son has raced from Netra land in New england down to NJ regularly plus the GNCC circuit and Rausch rates as one of the harder but fast tracks out there. GNCC have alot of fast sections, while local stuff will be tighter and slower paced.

Goodluck racing
Check out www.harescrambleracing.com as I try to keep local info there.

Mike

Top Bottom