wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
RC gets docked 25 points, WOW.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Connie Fleming at 614-856-1900 E-mail: cfleming@amaproracing.com (Ohio)
Contact: Kerry Graeber at 714-986-9030 E-mail: kgraeber@amaproracing.com (Calif.)
R06024

PENALTY ISSUED FOR ILLEGAL FUEL AT SAN DIEGO SUPERCROSS

PICKERINGTON, Ohio (February 24, 2006) – AMA Pro Racing has announced that Ricky Carmichael has been penalized 25 points for using illegal fuel at round six of the Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego, Calif., on February 11.

Fuel samples from eight motorcycles were collected at the San Diego round and the sample from the motorcycle of Ricky Carmichael was found to be in non-compliance. Fuel from the motorcycles of Mike Alessi, Grant Langston, Jeremy McGrath, Nate Ramsey, Chad Reed, Andrew Short and James Stewart was found to be in compliance.

As is required by the AMA Supercross/Motocross rulebook, the samples were sent to a certified testing lab which confirmed the results of the testing.

AMA Pro Racing has required the use of unleaded fuel in the AMA Supercross Series and the AMA Motocross Championship since the 2004 racing season.

About AMA Pro Racing

AMA Pro Racing is the leading sanctioning body for motorcycle sport in the United States. Its properties include the Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series, the AMA Toyota Motocross Championship presented by FMF, the AMA Superbike Championship presented by Parts Unlimited, the AMA Ford Quality Checked Flat Track Championship and the AMA Supermoto Championship. For more information about AMA Pro Racing, visit www.amaproracing.com. Accredited media outlets can also access AMA Pro Racing's online Press Room at www.amaproracing.com/pressroom

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
AMA :coocoo: Wow? Wardy and I tie :) 6: 51 PM

February 24, 2006

Penalty Issued for Illegal Fuel at San Diego Supercross
- press release -

PICKERINGTON, Ohio (February 24, 2006) – AMA Pro Racing has announced that Ricky Carmichael has been penalized 25 points for using illegal fuel at round six of the Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego, Calif., on February 11.

Fuel samples from eight motorcycles were collected at the San Diego round and the sample from the motorcycle of Ricky Carmichael was found to be in non-compliance. Fuel from the motorcycles of Mike Alessi, Grant Langston, Jeremy McGrath, Nate Ramsey, Chad Reed, Andrew Short and James Stewart was found to be in compliance.

As is required by the AMA Supercross/Motocross rulebook, the samples were sent to a certified testing lab which confirmed the results of the testing.

AMA Pro Racing has required the use of unleaded fuel in the AMA Supercross Series and the AMA Motocross Championship since the 2004 racing season.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
the best season ever may well be decided on a fuel sample. it would be nice to know the details, i wonder if its lead like what happened to Reed???? i remember reading the AMA spec for lead is less than the trace amounts found in pump gas.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
bclapham said:
i remember reading the AMA spec for lead is less than the trace amounts found in pump gas.

yeah, about as much lead as in the tip of a pencil.

point 0000000000000000000000000 something? :|

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
well with THE AMA sht canning the pro board this will now make a bigger mess for the people coming in to FIX the mess. I can not beleive that anyone in the top of the points would have this happen, my guess is something is messed up.

in fact if you remember didn't reed get his points back or lessoned? that whole deal went away quietly but didn't stick if i remember

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Yeah this is really bad news and once again the rider can not be blamed. Whether it old fuel in the can before refilled, bad supply, or cheating it will really put a damper on the season crown. I would truely hope thast no mechanic or team manager would ever take the chance of cheating especially with RC on their team.
If RC comes back and somehow wins it would be the greatest comeback ever but I can not see any way tyhat could happen with JBS and Reed out there. When one of the other 2 wins the crown it will be clouded just like the rainout at Troy and the 125 crown.
I do not remember but did they overturn the fuel penalties last year with the Yamaha team when it was appealed?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
There is ZERO advantage to using lead in these four-stroke engines, so if it's not a mistake (big if) it's more likely some oxygen bearing component, or one of the high energy additives that seem so popular lately.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
I don't recall that they did, but I'll be anxious for a confirmation of that, either way.
what a bombshell! :ohmy:

Tiger

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
Is he running a metal tank or something? Crazy! :(

That said, his engine did mess up a few times in the Nationals last year causing him to limp home at the finish. Better fuel (that they thought WAS LEGAL) might help out the Zook. Maybe they pushed the limit?

I wouldn't take an outside line into a corner next to Carmichael now! :D

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
i dont get it? 28? he lost all 22 + 3 for fuel issue and 25 for dnf still equals 50 points down , if it happened at STL that 50 would take all points from that round plus the 25 from wherever you like to get em

or is my math fuzzy

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Is the rule "you get DQ'd" or lose 25 points?

Funny, reading "eleswhere".. lots of complaints about the AMA, Whitlock, etc... as if they are the bad guys for enforcing the rules everyone agreed to. That being said, it'll be interesting to see what the actual problem was with the fuel... I gotta agree with Rich, I just don't see them risking the season like this (AMA) for some trace lead.

Do we really think others have access to the fuel.. ie; someone messed with RC's fuel? Gotta be Reed! :p (That's humor.. maybe lame humor, but humor none-the-less).
I know they keep all the fuel in one place... is there any way to know who get's which fuel?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Did Reed lose 25 when this happened too? Or just his points for the day? I can't remember.

Man, this just pisses me off. Way to F up a great season, and points battle. :bang:

Bubba.... 2006 SX champ by default. And no, he won't win the championship by 25+ points over RC.

This makes me sad:

149 - Reed
132 - Stewart
114 - Carmichael *
108 - Tedesco
103 - Wey

*25 pt. illegal fuel penalty

I gotta wonder if money will start talkin........ :think:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Ok it seems the rule is 25 points at least from past history

Three riders penalized for using illegal fuel at Texas Supercross
April 23, 2004

AMA Pro Racing press release

AMA Pro Racing has announced that three riders have been penalized 25 points each for using illegal fuel at round 14 of the THQ AMA Supercross Series at Texas Stadium in Irving, Texas on April 17.

Riders receiving the penalty include Tyson Hadsell, Chad Reed and David Vuillemin.

In announcing the penalties, AMA Pro Racing SX/MX Series Manager Steve Whitelock stated that fuel samples were collected from seven motorcycles at the Texas round and that the samples from the motorcycles of riders Hadsell, Reed and Vuillemin were found to be in non-compliance. Fuel from the motorcycles of Josh Hansen, Mike LaRocco, Ivan Tedesco and Kevin Windham was found to be in compliance.

The fuel samples were sent to a certified testing lab which confirmed that the fuel did not meet the requirements specified in the AMA Supercross/Motocross Rulebook.

AMA Pro Racing implemented new fuel requirements beginning with the 2004 season.

About AMA Pro Racing
AMA Pro Racing is the leading sanctioning body for motorcycle sport in the United States. Its properties include the THQ AMA Supercross Series, the AMA Chevrolet Motocross Championship, the AMA Chevrolet Superbike Championship, the AMA Progressive Insurance Flat Track Championship and the AMA Supermoto Championship. For more information about AMA Pro Racing, visit www.amaproracing.com.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
And they did not win their appeals- history says RC is now out of the title hunt unless Bubba and Reed lay it down for at least 1 race each
AMA Pro Racing denies fuel penalty appeals
April 30, 2004

AMA Pro Racing press release

AMA Pro Racing has announced that it will not accept appeals submitted by riders Tyson Hadsell, Chad Reed and David Vuillemin. All three riders were penalized for using illegal fuel at round 14 of the THQ AMA Supercross Series at Texas Stadium in Irving, Texas on April 17.

In announcing the decision, Merrill Vanderslice, AMA Pro Racing Director of Competition stated that there was nothing in the appeals that would warrant convening an appeal board.

“The appeals submitted by the riders never refute AMA Pro Racing’s finding that fuel tested after the Texas Supercross was found to be in non-compliance,” said Vanderslice. “Instead, the appeals attempt to cast doubt on the testing methodology, the validity of the AMA Supercross fuel requirements, whether or not their fuel impacted performance and the appropriateness of the penalty. Based on the language in the AMA Supercross Rulebook, none of this is appealable.”

According to the AMA Supercross Rulebook, appeals can be lodged under two circumstances:

1) a party which loses a protest can appeal for further review of the issue, and

2) an appeal may be lodged to challenge fines, suspensions and technical disqualifications levied by Race Managers and/or AMA Pro Racing.

“Obviously this is an unfortunate situation,” said Vanderslice. “However, after carefully reviewing all the facts surrounding this incident I’m confident that our initial findings are correct. The fuel in the bikes of Hadsell, Reed and Vuillemin from the Texas Supercross was not in compliance and the penalties applied are appropriate.”

Vanderslice added that fuel from the bikes of the same riders was tested after round 15 of the series and was found to be in compliance.

About AMA Pro Racing
AMA Pro Racing is the leading sanctioning body for motorcycle sport in the United States. Its properties include the THQ AMA Supercross Series, the AMA Chevrolet Motocross Championship, the AMA Chevrolet Superbike Championship, the AMA Progressive Insurance Flat Track Championship and the AMA Supermoto Championship. For more information about AMA Pro Racing, visit www.amaproracing.com.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Hey, this could be fun; RC not having to worry about the championship. So, he's going for the win instead of 'settling' for a the points of 2nd place; Bubbles has to win and Chad has to show that he occasionally has some kahunas. Sounds cool to me! :cool:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Okiewan said:
NO ONE wins now.

i agree 100%. the whole season is now tainted. It has been the best season for years and now its ruined. If RC loses because of this incident, the fans loose, the sport loses, and Reed and Stewart get the "*" treatment.

Since they test all the podium finishers at every race, i would bet RCs fuel has been tested more than anyone in the sport. does anyone really think he is cheating????

Top Bottom