Sayntmatt

Jul 22, 2002
I have just been to see the 1st round of the British Supercross series and it was fantastic!! Now Im quite sure that it was probably nothing compared to the American Supercross rounds but this was my first experience of it live and it was great!!! The 250 final was very close but it was won by a Mr Mike Brown on his new CAS Honda CR250 closely followed by his team mate Josh Coppins! Very tense!! There is no doubt that no one can tackle whoops sections like the Americans, Brown just skimmed over them so smoothly while everyone else was struggling :aj: I gotta say that Brown was very impressive and although a lot of the riders were clearing the jumps and were riding very very fast no one was quite as consistant or stylish as Brown!

Once again fantastic :)

Sayntmatt

Jul 22, 2002
Oh I forgot to mention the Canadian guy (sorry his name escapes me) in the 125 class! This guy was awesome easily clearing the tripple with some spectacular jumps on his YZ125! Just a shame he didnt do better in the 125 final! He was really gunning for the front but he was unfortunate to be blocked by a fallen rider! Real shame for the guy!

Can anyone give me his name???

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Here are some of the results from racerX.

its quite funny, but i think SuperCross could get big in the UK since they could setup quite a few indoor race meetings in the winter when regular racing is rained off!!

I think the guy highlighted in the clubman open class is a friend of Marcus!!!!???

Pro Open Class

1. Mike Brown Honda
2. Joshua Coppins Honda
3. Kim Ashkenazi Suzuki
4. Kyle Beaton Yamaha
5. Jordan Rose TM
6. Jussi Vehvilainen Honda
7. Ryan Voase Kawasaki
8. Paul Cooper Honda
9. James Noble Honda
10. Mark Hucklebridge KTM

Pro 125 Class

1. Carl Nunn Honda
2. Stuart Flockhart Honda
3. Neville Bradshaw Suzuki
4. Kyle Beaton Yamaha
5. Neil Prince Honda
6. Shaun Simpson KTM
7. Jonathan Pettitt TM
8. Chad Yarrington Kawasaki
9. Carl Brogden Yamaha
10. David Campbell Honda

Clubman Open Class

1. Charlie Hollis Yamaha
2. Matthew Porter Honda
3. David Connor Kawasaki
4. James Ballinger Honda
5. Oliver Brunskill Honda
6. Phillip McLaughlin Honda
7. Mark Sylvester Yamaha
8. Jonathan Sweeting Honda
9. William Woods Suzuki
10. Martin Downer Yamaha

Clubman 125 Class

1. Matthew Porter Honda
2. Stuart Edmonds TM
3. Ryan Mason Yamaha
4. James Price Honda
5. Richard Cannings Suzuki
6. David Hanby Kawasaki
7. Robert Wisenall Kawasaki
8. Trevor Parry Suzuki
9. Shaun Stewart Honda
10. David Connor Kawasaki

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
bruce the sx series does run all winter and has a proper championship status-it does however involve a good amount of travelling and its very expensive for a non pro rider.

Yes Jamie is a good friend of mine who i setup suspension for last season(he came 2nd overall), i rode his 04 CRf the other day and it was a very nice bike-super easy to ride, Matt Porter is the one to watch in the clubmans, he kicks my ass every time i try and race with him.

However the clubman riders look like fools compared to the pro riders-its such a crazy difference the level between them.

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
"3. Kim Ashkenazi Suzuki" - What the!

I remember Kim from the early to mid 90's. He's an Aussie rider who left to race in the US along side McGrath. Anyone else remember him? He was probably the most successful Australian rider in the US prior to Reed and Byrne.

I remember he was writing a column for ADB magazine whilst racing in the States. He then went on to superbikes.

Interesting to see his name appear again

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Yeah thats right Grinch old boy.....he's a blast from the past....he roadraces the summer months in Europe...UK Supersport class or something like that. Then he switches back to dirtbikes for the European winter and all the indoor SX meetings. He did do the 125MXGP class a couple of years ago but had a horror season. In euro SX he's still very competitive so he gets out and earns a few bob.....to blow on raodracing!!!!. Must be around 30 now or so.....pretty cool for a part timer.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
TheGrinch said:
" He was probably the most successful Australian rider in the US prior to Reed and Byrne.

Jeff Leisk from Perth had way more success over here than Ashkenazi. Not only was Leisk the first Aussie to win an MX GP, he placed top 10 in the US national series three times during the late 1980's.

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Quite right..... Triple D....after the US Leisk ended up runner up in the 500GP's then quit at 25 or 26.....just walked away. Met him as KTM race manager owner here in Oz...and Ashcan too...no comparison though. Ashcan is a total lad and a real laugh.....Leisk...well........like most people who have met him they walk away thinking.....he's a tool!!

Top Bottom