vince321

Oct 2, 2001
I will be taking delivery on a new CRF450 on Friday. (Hopefully) Ideally, I would just trailer it up and go riding. However, I've read other posts about re-greasing linkage prior to riding a new bike. What have other CRF owners experienced? Have they been assembled with enough grease from the factory? Or would it be best to tear down and re-grease.

BTW- It's been a number of years since my last bike. The one hour re-grease job could end up taking me considerably more time.

Thanks in advance for any opinions/recommendations.

Marklx

May 24, 2001
Better safe than sorry. My last two bikes came delivered dry. A good friend that is a devout Hondaphile has had all his Cr's come dry, linkage and steerer. It'll be much easier while the bike is all clean and shiny v. dirty and oily. I use bel-ray waterproof grease.

Figure you'll have to do it sooner or later, so better to get it behind you now. Enjoy the new ride!

Mark

MotoGreg

Sep 23, 2001
When you do it, putting the swingarm back in is a little tricky. The right side wouldn't go back in for anything on mine (and other people's too) so I had to loosen the motor mounts, put the swingarm in, tighten the swingarm pivot bolt, and then tighten the motor mounts. When you do the steering head, the top stem nut and the front axle nut are both aluminum, so pay attention to your torque. I'd also use a torque wrench for the triple clamp pinch bolts.

The bearings on mine didn't have enough grease but they certainly had enough to be able to ride the bike a couple times before you get the time to grease them. I also used the blue waterproof grease and it works.... after doing my bike I took a shower and afterward noticed a little dab of the grease on my leg that had survived the shower.

Top Bottom