minisman

Sep 14, 2006
hi i have a Nikon d50 and i am wondering why it wont atke shots as fast as it claims.
I have used all sorts of settings in really good sunny days and it is still only shooting at about 1 fps
i have tried to manually override as much as i can, so it doesn't have to think about settings, but its still slow. eg low pic quality, manual focus, set on highest ISO, set on fastest shutter speed/and adjusted apperture to suit.

Waas i sucked into thinking the camera could shoot faster?

Thanks

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
will your memory card keep up with it ? I do know anything about the D50 or its menus, but its buffer should "hold the FPS" pics.

it's sure to have a fps menu selection,
and perhaps a focus priority mode, meaning the shutter operates by either priority of focus or priority of FPS. if you use Focus Priority, and the focus is somewhat slow, than maybe thats the problem. I have no clue how it reacets when in manual focus mode. all other modes should not effect it unless it's quite low light situation, but then thats focus again.

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
Nope, page 21

Here's what it looks like.

D-50.jpg

nipprdog

Mar 30, 2007
Ok, I guess we'll have to hear from the OP to settle this. :)

the OP already has his camera in burst mode.

it's a common problem with new D50 owners. it's posted too frequently on any Nikon forum. new owner starts a thread like this one, is told to turn off the NR, then replys with "thanks, it worked". as I'm sure this one will. ;)

nipprdog

Mar 30, 2007
Chili said:
Well I'm a Canon guy so I can't speak to it being a common problem, although no where in his post does he mention he has it in burst mode.

he refers to fps, which implies burst mode. as mentioned, I've seen this in a hundred threads in different forums. the D50, including mine, shoots 1 fps with the NR on, and 2 1/2 fps with it off.

it's my first day here. DRN was mentioned on another forum where I have shared some of my MX and SX pics. I was browsing through the photo forum admireing some of the excellent photography here.

I had no intention of signing up, since I don't ride anymore. actually, I haven't rode or raced in 20 years. though, a lot of my pics from 30 years of photography have centered around MX. but, I saw this thread, and signed up just to help the OP.

I was very civil about it. I didn'y use this :yell:, and say "read your manual"

but every one is quick to jump on Squid's bandwagon and say "you owned him(me), dude"
well, no he didn't.

after the OP chimes in and says his camera is now working as advertised, it will be interesting to see the replys. :)

acutemp

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 4, 1999
You both could be right..... The D50 does have a burst mode which could be off, and having the noise reduction on will slow the frame rate to a crawl. I happen to have this camera but had never used the noise reduction setting before so I just tried it both on and off at various frame rates. What I found was that it slows down the fps it least 50% with it on. Nikon shows 2.5 fps in burst and I would say that is pretty close. It always seems that by the time I get all of the settings figured out I'm looking for a new camera!
--Dan

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
Hey nipprdog,

No one is trying to "own you" I just looked it up is all. If the OP would have come straight out and said he had burst mode turned on I would have just said sorry dude I have no idea. He, (as far as I read in the original post) didn't say he had it on. Now on the other hand I also looked up page 78 like you said and it says nothing about the frame rate or burst mode when noise reduction is turned on or off, so by the way you worded your first post, it seemed kind of useless. If you would have said what you did in your later post then he would have figured out 2 things.

1) He had to set up his camera to burst mode (Page 21)

2) he had to turn noise reduction off (as on page 78).

The :yell: thing was just meant as a joke. If I really wanted to get on the guys case I would have simply said RTFM and not offered a solution at all.

Peace.

Emile Cooper

Top Bottom