Really old kdx airbox mods!

KAWA200'sRule

Mar 15, 2004
OK I ride a '85 kdx 200 and was considering doing the airbox mod. I know this has been asked prob a million times but I dont think you ever discussed about older bikes.

Can you do it on the older ones.? I know you CAN do it but are the '85's as restictive as some of the newer one?

What exactly do you need to do? Just drill a few holes along the side,top or bottom or all? How big do the holes need to be or should be? What do you need to do in terms of jetting? Richen it or lean it out? Where does it increase power for the most part? Is there anything I should look for or worry about? I am very good with tools and four strokers but very new to 2smokes but am hooked and tring to learn them like I know 4strks. I have been working on cars forever. Thanks for any help and sorry for making you answer this question again but please do answer it.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
On your year KDX, the air box cover is on the side of the airbox. On my old '84 (I bought it new and sold it in 1991), I drilled some 1" holes near the top edge of the airbox cover. I used a holesaw chucked up in an electric drill. I Can't say it really made much if any difference, so you might just keep it stock. If you do drill holes and plan on crossing some high streams, you should put some duct tape over the holes to keep water out of the airbox, then remove the tape in dry conditions.

If you make it easier for the bike to breathe, you will be getting more air for the same amount of gas. So, in theory, you should richen the jetting to keep the mixture the same as before. However, these bikes are generally jetted rich anyways, and you are only making a very minor change. You will probably be OK without changing your jetting.

IMO, the best thing you can do the performance of your '85 is improve the front forks by stiffening the springs and/or adding oil to improve bottoming resistance. Also, keep your brakes in good working order, as they were mediocre even by mid '80's standards, and a real weak point on the bike.

The '85 was a fine bike back in the day - I hope you have as much fun with yours as I did with my first KDX. :)

KAWA200'sRule

Mar 15, 2004
Thanks alot I think I'm not gonna do it then. I thought it made a huge difference. Thats what I read before or I misread it.

carney

Mar 17, 2004
Don't know if I would do it - take a look at the area of the inlet on the airbox and compare it to the inlet (back side) of the carb. On my '88, I haven't measured, but I'd say the airbox inlet is larger in area than the carb inlet. Also, it's not really a torturous flow path from airbox inlet to air filter. So on my bike, I'm not going to unnecessarliy risk getting water in the engine (a distinct possibility in jolly old New England). Plus, Dave has first hand experience with this mod and he didn't think it made much difference. But hey it might make a cool sound. Just my O

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…