Rear Axle Troubles

DJM600X

Apr 20, 2004
Hiya everyone, My brother is working on a 01' YZ125 and this bike has been very badly abused maintanence wise. My problem is that the rear axle is frozen and will not come out. When we tried to remove it, the axle came out about 2 inches and will not move out anymore. I think it is very badly rusted on the inside or possibly bent. When the axle is rotated there is a spot about halfway thru the turn that feels like it is sticking. Is this axle sticking to something inside or bent? I've already tired to heat up the axle with no luck. How can I remove this axle in order to replace whatever is broken?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Have you a long punch? I've had to remove a stubborn axel before using a punch. Try this before you cut.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
If its bent (sounds like it is) use a punch and a dye grinder.. If its rusted, try heating and and using some candlewax.. It does sound like its bent though..
Rick

DJM600X

Apr 20, 2004
Thank you very much for the help guys I just finished messing with it for tonight and I was trying a long punch and it didn't work out, it must be bent the kid who owns the bike doesn't know anything about keeping up his machine and it's in horrible shape. I'll try to cut it tomorrow and use the punch again.

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
It is probably rusted to the spacer tube inside the wheel. It is a bugger to get any penetrating fluid into, as you will have difficulty getting in past the oil seals. Try laying the bike on its side and put wooden blocks under the swingarm either side of the axle, this way you can start to drift it out without the swingarm 'flexing' and taking the power out of the blows. This method is coarse though, and is likely to leave you needing to replace the axle as the threads will be nadgered. You can try to protect them by putting the nut on, but tricky to avoid damage....at least you should be able to get it out though.

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
It's probably the point at where the rusted portion of the axle is coming up against the wheel bearing inner (which is slightly smaller than the spacer tube)....that's my best guess anyway.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…