ChadInColo

Feb 14, 2005
I need help, trying to change the rear sprocket on an old YZ80, the axle bolt appears to be frozen to the bearings. I've tried tapping on the bolt, wouldn't loosen it. I've been spraying penetrating oil under the seals to try to get it into the bearing/axle joint, but obviously can't see what's going on. Any ideas? I may have to cut the bolt (inside the swing arm) so I can get the wheel off, then press the bolt out.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
No real way to heat it, so I say beat it. You will have to replace the bearings and may have to replace the bolt. In any event, make sure to use a lot of Never Seize when you put it back together.

kstout4life

Aug 2, 2004
find a long bolt about the size of the axle and jus keep bashing it, mine was so bad the bolt began to bend before the axle would move, we got it off eventually but it was a pita.

tzr8cr

Jan 28, 2006
make sure to leave the nut on a couple of threads before you whale on it.if it does break loose you still might be able to clean up the axle where it was frozen. the nut helps save the theads from being ruined.once it's started use an old breaker bar with the end cut off to help with the pushing once it's in side the swing arm and wheel.

Top Bottom