td center

Apr 26, 2004
Sorry to cross post this, but came out of a conversation in one of the riding chapter's forums.
On my 2000 Honda CR125 I am trying to put my back wheel back on my bike after setting the adjustment screws to get the right chain tension(1.5" slack), and the wheel straight. At first I was having problems that when I tightened the axle nut, the chain side axle block would move a mark or two back away from where I had it pressed against the adjustment screws. Then after that problem I tightened the wheel's axle nut to factory specs(94 ft/lbs.) and then the wheel would not spin without a lot of pressure only to get it to move an inch or two.
Well, this is where I am at now:
"Well took the axle back out regreased the axle and axle spacers, and still somewhat of the same problem. First I was still having the problem of when tightening the axle nut that the axle block would move away from the adjustment screw. So I rotated the axle 180 degrees(didn't switch sides the nut was on....just spun the axle so the grooves in the block were now touch the other side of the flat end on the axle) This stopped the axle blocks from moving away from the adjustment screws which is what I was hoping for, but still after tightening to 94 ft/lbs the wheel didn't want to turn. I checked the axle spacers had clicked into place correctly and they were fully greased but still didn't want to turn more than an inch when trying to spin the wheel.
Also I noticed, when putting the axle in, I was able to slide it in with my hand for the first 3/4 of the axle(though still needed some force) but that to get the last 2 inches of the axle into the hub, I needed to use a mallot. Is this normal?
Thanks for any more suggestions you may have!"
Any help is really, really, really appreciated. :cool:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Not sure on the wheel binding but 94'lbs seems kind of tight to me. I guess you'd know better than me though, I'm a KTM guy.
One way to keep the back wheel against the stop blocks is to roll a wrench between the chain & back sprocket to tighten the chain, thus holding the blocks against the stops while you tighten the axle.

td center

Apr 26, 2004
Jeff Gilbert said:
Not sure on the wheel binding but 94'lbs seems kind of tight to me. I guess you'd know better than me though, I'm a KTM guy.
One way to keep the back wheel against the stop blocks is to roll a wrench between the chain & back sprocket to tighten the chain, thus holding the blocks against the stops while you tighten the axle.

Everyone seems to be telling me the same thing about the 94 ft/lbs issue. I am just going by my owner's manual, and shop manual.

Thanks for the tip Jeff about putting the wrench in the chain. Luckily spinning the axle fixed the problem....this leads me to believe that the axle might be bent...though I have NO idea how it could be. I didn't do anything except pull it out, it worked fine before that. :bang:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I agree that 94 ft/lbs seems like overkill, not sure what our Suzuki specs are since I never torque the axle. I simply rest my leg against the tire putting forward pressure on it to keep it against the adjusters when tightening.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
td center said:
FIXED!!!

Thank you all for your help. Even works perfectly at 94 ft/lbs.
Cool!
ps, what was rubbing?

td center

Apr 26, 2004
Jeff Gilbert said:
Cool!
ps, what was rubbing?

Actually, the problem was right under my eyes the whole time.(Yes, I do feel stupid) :bang:

The rear brake caliper was not correctly in the groove in the swingarm, it was pressed against it, causing the wheel to be locked up when torqued.

Thanks for everyone's help though! :)

Top Bottom