Rear Axle

NeedSpeed

Feb 16, 2001
I have a 99TTR-250 that I blew out the Back Tire on.

I can't seem to get the Axle to slide out of the wheel,
Are there any tricks to doing this?
I have placed a piece of wood over the right side and hit it with a hammer, but it doesn't seem to move....

Maybe I'm just being too gentle?:think

Any Suggestions ? ? ??

Thanks,
J

Last edited:

CanadianBrian

Mar 3, 2001
I'm sure that someone can give you some specifics for your bike but when I tried to remove the axel from my CR I had to pound it out really hard. It turned out to be rusty on the shaft between the bearings.

Kramer

Jan 19, 2000
Yup, it happens sometimes. Just try not to mess the threads up too much.

once you get it out, spend some time with sandpaper / emery cloth to clean up the surface. I always coat the shaft with white lithium grease to help prevent this. It works.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
be careful! them axles be expensive !

I also worry about damaging the hub , from beating to hard on the axle? what to do ? darn if you darn if you don't

Last edited:

Kramer

Jan 19, 2000
If you look at how the parts are laid out, most of the impact is taken through the bearing inner races, right-hand wheel spacer, and swingarm. The axle won't actually seize to the hub itself.

Lots of good penetrating oil could help too. I would resist the temptation to heat anything, as there is no way to directly heat the frozen part. You definitely don't want to heat the hub.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…