tightwoods

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 23, 2000
I need advice on how to remove a stuck swingarm axle on a 2003 YZ450F. Here's what I've done using 3 guys!: Back off the axle nut so it's flush with the end of the axle. One guy holds a solid steel striking bar against the nut/axle end. A second guy pushes against the right side of the bike and holds it steady. A third guy beats on the strike bar as hard as he can with a full size sledge hammer. The axle won't budge!

Two other ideas I have that I haven't tried yet are 1, to try an air impact hammer on the nut/ axle end hope it doesn't do any permanent damage that would prevent the nut from being tightened and 2, heat up the aluminum part of the swingarm that houses the bearings and see if that loosens anything up. I also thought about putting a piece of 3/8" all-thread thru the axle with nuts on each end and tightening from the brake pedal side (with a thick washer spanning the frame opening where the axle would slide out from) while also beating with the sledge hammer on the nut side.

Any advice?

tightwoods ;)

raceready99

May 5, 2003
I had the same exact problem on a 02 YZ125. I also was using 3 guys the same exact way. What I did was pounded on it for about an hour straight. It still wouldn't budge. I didn't want to heat that housing because the aluminum melts very easy. That would cause a lot of damage. I heated where the motor holds the pivot with a burnsamatic and it didn't even seem to help. What I did was sprayed a penatrating oil all over that thing and let it sit for about 2 weeks. The same 3 guys went back to pounding and it would only budge about a 1/4 inch. We would pound that pivot back and fourth until we finally got the pivot to go flush with the frame. Then we were lost because now we no longer could use that nut. So we found a stainless steel rod and pounded it in and out. We screwed up the threads on the pivot and I had to buy a new one that cost $30. I also had to buy a new nut and washer that costed around $45. Take my advice for what it is worth. Just keep on pounding on it and hope it works.You will disgusted when you see what those bearings look like in there once you finally get that pivot out. Best of luck to you!

chalie

Apr 13, 2005
Tons of penetrating oil while you pound it back and forth. Each time it comes back again it should come a hair closer.
I used a socket that fit the hole perfectly to keep the threads useable, Then an extention on that and beat it, and it worked.
Man this brings back some horrible memories about that day. :| I need a drink!

NEVER AGAIN!

P.S. Use someone elses socket and extention.

tightwoods

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 23, 2000
Thanx!

Hey guys, thanx for the help. The bike belongs to a riding buddy who doesn't like to do routine maintenance. He's still smok'in fast riding junk and it pisses me off!

tightwoods

ben.handasyde

Jan 28, 2004
put the bike on its side and chock the frame right near the brake pedal up with wood. at the moment most of the force of your hits is being absorbed, this will stop that. i had a mate hit mine when my bolt was stuck, some people will hit there own stuff softer!!.

sparky970

Mar 2, 2005
Go with the penetrating oil don't be shy on how much you use. Wait a day, then use the socket( mine was a 19mm) and extension. This worked really well.

Top Bottom