Roland C

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2002
Hey guys. Sorry in advance if this has already been discussed. The search function is still down :(

I had my back wheel off recently to grease the bearings. I cleaned and lubed the chain good while I was at it, and noticed a lot of brake drag as I spun the wheel. It seems like the caliper is slightly off center of the rotor. The drag is consistent around the whole rotation of the wheel, so I can't see it being a warped rotor. I was just wondering if this is something that all KDX's do. Can I make any adjustments to solve it? If I leave the caliper loose and spin the wheel, I can move it enough to get a pretty free spin, but as soon as I tighten it down the drag comes back. Are the pads maybe not disengaging as much as they should? There's no noticeable gap between the rotor and the pads. I also bled the brakes to make sure that wasn't it. I didn't look too close, but I didn't see any obvious adjustments I could make. The bike is a '02 KDX200. All the brake components are stock. Pads look good. I've got less than 300 miles on the bike. I hadn't looked closely when I got it, but it seems like it's always had the drag problem. I don't think it just started after a crash or anything. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks much

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Remove the brake caliper pins and see if they are worn (grooved).  When they get worn they do restrict the pads from moving freely.  If they need replacing replace with the Moose hex head brake caliper pins - available from Fredette Racing Products.  I think they are around $20 for the rear.

I had a picture of a set of worn ones off of my KDX but can't seem to find the pic now.

Top Bottom