rear brake technique riding a thumper?

ballistic

Jan 13, 2001
I find there is alot of engine braking already on my DRZ400, so sometimes I get lazy and only use the front brake, especially at slower speeds or rounding a corner.

Anyone else like that? Any tips for good brake usage technique?
Front brake is 80% anyway, right? Using rear brake often I unintentionally lock it up :eek:
Best times to use or not use back brake?

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
Nov 14, 2000
70% front 30% rear. If you are not in a hurry then don't bother locking the rear wheel up. If you're in a hurry use all the brake's you can. The YZF250 team's have a special clutch to make the decompression braking less powerful to make it feel like a 2 smoke.
CRG

OoM_WoC

Jun 19, 2001
DO I RIDE LIKE THAT? YES........... i do. I hardly ever use the rear brake except when in the air.... :think Careful though.... you start grabbin at levers when u get outa control.... can u say ENDO???

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
Nov 14, 2000
what's up with the backward's Moo_Cow???
I can say endo But I love doin them they look cool if you gett em right!
CRG

ballistic

Jan 13, 2001
Someone else in another thread said just downshift and forget the rear brake. Another guy said cut the friggin thing right off:p I kinda like that idea...

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
On my xr I use the rear brake all the time. Not as much to slow down but to change the handling of the bike. Through woops I tend to drag the rear brake just enough to make the bike track a little better. In tight turns with ruts I use the rear brake even under acceleration to drop the rear end right into the rut. For turns with berms I use it to force the front wheel into the ground a little harder.
Now, I am NNOOO expert, but I watched some other thumper riders do that and really like it. It also mellows out the brutal engine braking.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…