Wilbur

Jan 14, 2002
hey guys,how hard is it to replace the kdx rear fender with a kx? gotta stay cheap cause i got two sons who race yz80's and they spend all dads playin money.

MassKDX

Dec 11, 2001
It is pretty easy to install. You do not state the year of your bike. If you have a 95-02 they are simple. The Maier MX style rear fender comes with everything you need. The late model KDX's you can use a KX500 rear fender.

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
The maier is what you need then. 89-94 KDXs can use 98-up KX stuff, but the new KDX has unique mounting. Plus, they don't make a MX fender specifically for the old KDXs. Since Maier already has it figured out, i'd go with them.
http://www.maier-mfg.com/

55.jpg

SmokinRZ

Feb 26, 2002
Ok, I'm confused. I took my 94 rear fender to a shop and it looks like the 88 250/500 KX rear fender came closest matching but that is contrary to what i see posted here. So i didnt get it. Who has done this KX fender swap for an 89-94?

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
88-up KX500 does come the closest to matching, but I dislike its looks. It curves downward like the stock KDX fender does. I prefer it to stick straight out the back like the current bodystyle KX 125/250. If you buy a rear fender for one of these bikes, you need to make a few minor tweaks and it bolts right on. It has to be cut around the silencer just a little. The back frame bolts line up perfectly, but the bolts under the fender can't be used, but are not necessary. The flange on the fender tucks between the frame and the coolant resevoir just like the stock fender. you can also use a heat gun ( a hair dryer will work) to heat the top of the fender so that the seat will fit better. That's it. If either of you would be interested in buying a KX fender, let me know. I have a spare one.

Here's a pic: http://cmccarthy.corral.net/kdxhybrid.jpg

Thanks to Scott for the pics and installation details.
-Charles

Last edited:

garrettkite

May 26, 2002
I just ordered my maier rear fender in black and it looks good! It only took a few minutes to put on and i didn't have to drill any extra holes. good choice!

GARRETT

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom