bnt55

Jun 28, 2002
what is the proper PSI for the back shock on my 92 KDX200? Also how can I get it to be stiffer, it seems that when I sit on the bike it goes down about halfway to 3/4 and looks like the bike is squatting. I can see the "shock cannister" with the air nipple on it but should I use a compressor or a bike pump? Any help would be appreciated.

fast 200

Jul 24, 2002
sounds like you need a new shock the air is put in under a lot of pressure you need to got to a shop or get a new shock i belive that is your problum

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Rear shocks are filled with Nitrogen. Dont touch that rear air stem there.

If the shock is squatting to much, first measure the sag and adjust as needed. If that does not help, then you need to get a stiffer shock spring installed.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
holy kaw!! Don't mess with that gas reservoir! Pressures vary, but 165psi is about normal.

The sag needs to be set like matt sez. That's total drop of bike measured from completely unloaded..lifting up on the fender to unload it...to you sitting on it with all your gear. 100mm (4") is a good place to start. Adjust by loosening the locking spanner on the shock spring, then turning the spring (not the spanner nut) to increase/decrease preload as required.

When you're all done and have your 4" of 'race sag', check the free sag. That is the amount the bike drops under its own weight from the previously mentioned completely unloaded position. Should be 1/2 to 1". If it's much less than 1/2, it is an indication of a too soft shock spring. If it is much more than 1", it is an indication that your spring is too stiff (not likely. The stock kdx spring is 5.0 kg/mm which is good for about 185#).

Don't think this is odd. All bikes need to be set to proper sag according to the weight of the particular rider.

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
I can see the "shock cannister" with the air nipple on it but should I use a compressor or a bike pump? Any help would be appreciated.

--BNT55, put down the pump and back slowly away from the bike. :)

bnt55

Jun 28, 2002
Jeez...I guess manuals are a good thing huh? I weigh about 220, and ride mainly trails. Where are those websites that show how to adjust the rear shock, cause I need to do it.

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
bnt55- also do a search on this site for repair manuals. I picked up the Kawasaki motor cycle service manual for my KDX following the site posted from here. It has step by step instructions for wrenching on the bike. Also it has pictures so fools like me can pretend to be mechanics. Good luck

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
matt:
I like 'part 1' of those suspension tips a whole lot better than 'part 2' ;) !!

re: manuals

Check Justkdx

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/

for a service manual correction that may save you some grief on the KIPS system. I understand that NEW manuals have been changed. If yours comes from a yard sale somewheres, it may be an older version, therefore incorrect.

bnt:
Note the listed suspension URL says to set race sag 'standing on the pegs'. That's great if you ride standing up. The kdx being a woods machine, you may sit more than stand? Then set the 4" (100mm) while sitting on your bike.

Use some bike straps to hold your bike up whilst you're on it. You have to keep your feet on the pegs..position your bod up in the saddle of the seat where it should be. Use a 'tool' (as shown in 'part one' ;) ) to make the measurements.

Hey..I wanna tool like that!

bnt55

Jun 28, 2002
I did the measuring and came up with a whopping 6" of travel from no sag to race sag. I have got it to 4.5" now and will take it down a little further, I guess it all depends on how the rider feels whilst riding (I never get to use that word). I will know better after a good days' riding. Thanks for the tips, I will see if I can pick up a manual for my 92 around here.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom