rear shock installation

john_c

May 8, 2002
Hello there everyone.....

I just went through the rear suspension on the 1994 KDX250 for the first time.

I'm having a problem getting it back together. Can't quite figure out the order.

At first I tried putting the shock on first, then the rocker arm and swingarm. The swingarm was binding up on the bottom of the shock, and just wasn't right. So then I took everything off, and put the swingarm on first, made sure it had the right articulation with the rockerarm, and now I'm trying to figure out how to get the shock in.

If this is the right order to do it in, it looks like I need to remove the airbox. I've moved everything around in there, including the carb, etc.....and can't figure out how it comes out. Even if this isn't the right way to do it, I'd still like to get the airbox out and clean it.

Anyway, what am I doing wrong here? I'm hot, confused and getting eaten alive by mosquitos!

Thanks!!

John C.

TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
When I was assembling my '89 200, I had the shock attatched to the frame. Then put the swingarm on (no rear wheel, or brakes hooked up). Followed by the linkage. I didn't have any problems, but I didn't have the motor, air box, or any of the body work on.

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
I changed my rear spring not to long ago. The shop manual says to remove the side covers, seat, rear frame pipe, rear fender and air cleaner housing. Anyway, that's how I did it. Hope it helps.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Remove the airbox to make it easy on yourself. Otherwise it goes shock -- raise it up from the bottom to bolt into the upper mount, swing arm, the front bolts on the Unitrak link (2 to the chassis, one in the middle) then the lower shock bolt and then the suspension rods/dog bones. You will have to move the swing arm up and down to beyond normal travel to get some of the bolt in and going. This is where it helps to have just the rear axle in the swing arm and run a tiedown over the seat to both sides of the swing arm to hold it up.

Last edited:

john_c

May 8, 2002
perfect info, thanks everyone! What's the easiest way to get that airbox out? I can't figure out if it comes out one of the sides, or through the rear.

John C.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
You remove the left side subframe, unbolt the air box from the frame, 2 upper bolts, remove the clamp from the carb and wiggle it out the back.

You may also have to remove the mud flap if the wheel is still there.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…