cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
its a 96cr250 and i just measured the sag w/ me on it an its at 76 give or take a mm or 2. how tight should i make the top nut thing on the shock? and how should it effect my bikes handeling when set?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
The sag should be about 100 mm. A lower sag makes the back end stiff and will bias the weight to the front end and over load the forks, Too much sag will bias the weight to the rear and the front can become unstable and push in turns. In either case the sag will affect your suspension dramatically and there won’t be enough adjustment for rebound and compression.

I assume the “nut thingy” you refer to is the large nut that controls preload on the spring. In your case you don’t have enough sag so you need to loosen the nut (back it off counterclockwise) until the sag is at 100 mm (check a manual for the correct sag value). 2 turns of the nut is approx .300” of sag. There are actually 2 nuts that lock against each other once the sag is set.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I recently set my sag after a year of "oh, it probably wont do anything and I'll just loose some travel which isnt a good thing" Man was I wrong! I was at about 75mm too; 25mm off. I set it down to 100mm and the first ride after was awesome! I fell in love my bike all over again. It made those heavier fork springs worth every penny. Sorry if I sound overly excitied.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom