Rear Spring Service limit?

Marsh

Feb 26, 2004
I am going over the suspension on my '90 200. Does anyone know what the safe range of unloaded spring length should be for the back shock?

I bought this thing bike off a big dude and want to start the inspection process here. If the spring is totally shot, I'd like to know first thing before revalving, oiling and recharging.

Thanks.

I'll be able to search through this forum for the steps to do the front forks. Just need to find the part numbers for the XR 400 springs for my year of bike. I am looking for the .40 weight ones. Hint hint....................

Thanks again.

Marsh.

BRYDEN1

Sep 22, 2003
Honda # 51401-KCY-761 Order Springs out of a 99 to current XR400 to get .40 springs. With the caps spun all the way down on the rod, my preload was 3mm. without any shims.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Rear shock spring free length is 255mm. Service limit is 250mm. Standard preload is 116.5mm (4.6") from the center of the top mounting hole to the bottom of the preload adjusting nut. Adjusting nut range is from 103mm (4.05") to 125mm (5.0").

Oops, sorry. That's for the 'H' version ('95 through '04). I'm not sure how early they went with that shock and linkage before the 'H" KDX200. I'm also not sure how early the forks were the same as the 'H' either. You may want to check that out to see if the XR400 springs are compatable with your '90.

Marsh

Feb 26, 2004
Thanks. I'm pretty sure the service limits of the rear springs didn't change. This is exactly what I'm looking for.

And by the way. I've been searching the forum for all info to do my forks. WOW. A lot of opinions out there! Also a lot of stuff to sift through. :(

Anyone direct me to a good post to get what I need to this job using XR400 springs with 0.40 weight? I've made up my mind as to what I want, now just to do it properly.

Thanks again. By the way, just got done watching the fireworks in Alganac US. Awesome. You US boys out-do our show every year.

Marsh.

I'm 170lbs without gear and ride this sucker like a 125 on motocross tracks and loving it (except the bottoming out on everything I hit!) :yeehaw:

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
huh? the stock rear spring on your bike shoulda been a 4.7 i personally like a 5.0 with 3.5 in sag oh and im 175lbs. just have the shock serviced and your spring should be ok. if it's not green or blue it probably aint the stock spring. by the way the frre length of my stock spring is 275 mm

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
If the free sag and race sag are correct, does it matter what the length is/was?

Marsh

Feb 26, 2004
Thanks guys. I'll rebuild it and set the sags. Just wasn't sure if the memory on this spring could be lost.

Marsh.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…