captbly99

May 30, 2005
OK, I know you all are tired of this subject, but how about giving a girl break :)

Here's the deal, I have owned my '95 KDX 200 since '96.
The rear shock has NEVER been serviced and the bike has not been torn down to the linkage since purchased in '96, which is the last time all that has been greased. So, it was past due to be torn down and while I am there, I want to do the shock also. Now, I have read up on this subject and know the bike comes stock "unbalanced" in the suspension dept.
So, that is why I am wanting to "balance" it. I am 143, 5' 6", ride mostly tight trails and consider myself to be a mid pack "c" rider. I am considering going from the stock 5.0 rear spring to the 4.6 spring. And leaving the front springs stock, I think they are OK for my weight.
I guess I just want to confirm that I am going in the right direction. Also, is there any mod I can be having done to the rear shock while my local shop is servicing it? they are just going to clean it , inspect it, and put new oil in it I guess, for $100. Not sure if that is a good deal or not, any thing else I should have done?

Thanks for any input!
~Michele

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Your shock spring choice sounds good although you may want to consider going one step heavier on the fork springs.

I find the KDX shock to be light on the rebound damping, especially for sandy conditions and whoops. Depending on the terrain you are riding you could have them revalve for a little more rebound adjustment.

captbly99

May 30, 2005
Thanks for your input, I was starting to think maybe I should not have led on to the girl thing! Thought I scared ya's away!

Anyway, I was also thinking about the next heavier springs on the front, but I will see how it feels after the softer rear. Luckily I don't ride much in the soft sand and not many whoops here, at least where I ride, I hear of a lot of local enduros having some whoops. I am just going to try a local harescramble series in the March. I am however going to try 3 of the 6 Days of Michigan, I heard LOTS of sand & whoops to look forward to there!

OK, I got the shock off last night and the swing arm off, the needle bearings look pretty good for it being 9-10 years since the last "tear down" I think what saved it was tearing it down back then and packing them with a ton of grease, they were just dry and dirty, but none missing or rusty.

I dropped it off at my local shop this morning, they changed the price to $50 and I can help do it! Sweet! So, I will hang out tomorrow and do it. Nothing fancy, no revalving, just a basic service job and new spring.

Thanks again guys!

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
captbly99 said:
I am however going to try 3 of the 6 Days of Michigan, I heard LOTS of sand & whoops to look forward to there!

Add the heavier springs in front when you come up here to Michigan. You'll be glad you did. You will most likely end up running your shock rebound at full hard when riding in Michigan. You'll want to install a set of S-12's or Dunlop 773's too.

You'll love it despite the sand. Great trails and scenery. :nod:

jnugent

Aug 30, 2003
I am however going to try 3 of the 6 Days of Michigan, I heard LOTS of sand & whoops to look forward to there!

If you have never ridden in sand with lots of whoops it will be a big wake up call. The 1st time I rode real trails here in Mi. I thought I was going the die trying to make it though the nasty sand whoops. Just stay on the gas, keep the front end light and squeeze the bike with your legs. Best of luck with the Six Days! Jim

Top Bottom