Reason enough to keep the KDX:

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Went riding with a friend who just got an ‘02 YZ250F.

Into the forest he follows Buurr, stalls it. 5 min later helmet off, gets it started.

Ride 5 min -stall, 5 min to restart. 5 min again Buurr, I see a pattern forming.

So I take it for a ride at end of day.

Hmm, its pretty light & the brakes & suspension are a step on my old ‘91 200.
Hey this thing takes off quite well for a 4 banger when you get the revs up!

Down a hill, still moving, stalls. Can’t start the damn thing.

Pah you can keep it! :|

Whenever I had to wait I would rub it in by stopping the KDX every time -then when he got it going I’d give the kdx a small poke on the lever & let out the clutch in the same motion. :yeehaw:

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
The 03s are a lot better. There is a ton of FAQs to help your friend jet the bike so starting is not such an issue. Also a swap to the 03 cams helps starting. They are great bikes with a lot of potential. Point your friend to http://www.thumpertalk.com and start reading the YZ250F boards there for help. Also the power now part seems to give the bikes a lot of low end compared to stock. Ultimately a 270-302 bore kit makes the bikes just a sweet motor with no power delivery problems at any time.

Personally I would get a 04 WR. Not for the E start as that would be one of the first things I would take off the bike, but for the gearing over the YZ. They are great units and can fly after doing the freebee mods and a few extras. But the new CRF250X may get the notch after its release. Time will tell.

Basically stock for stock, dont bag the bike. The 03s are TONS better in the starting department. The 01-02s just need to be tuned a bit.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
He probably dosn't have his 250F jetted correctly. My buddy has an 01 and has no problems starting at and rarely uses the hot start either. The key is lean jetting down low. I think the WR-F's are a lot harder to start than the YZ-F's.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…