Rebound is too stiff!

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I am having a problem getting the rebound on my forks adjusted to where I want it. The bike is a '96 KTM with the Marzocchi (sp) forks, and they were redone by Jeremy at MX-Tech.

I have adjusted the clicker all the way out, and all the way in but it still rebounds very hard. When the front wheel is off the ground and the suspension uncompresses, I can hear it "pop" as it fully extends. Not to mention, it's uncomfortable as it feels like it's going to yank the handlebars out of my hands when it does this. Right now the clicker is set at the softest setting (all the way out) for rebound, and it
s still too harsh for my liking. Is there anything else I can try to adjust in order to get it to soften up some more? Or, am I just being a wuss and is this how it's supposed to feel? Any help is appreciated.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Have you tried turning it in to make it stiffer? Making the rebound adjuster stiffer (turning it clockwise) slows how quickly the forks extend....which sounds like what you need to me.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I think I am getting my terminology screwed up here (sorry for any confusion). Either way, I have tried it both ways, and it's not to my liking. With the clicker all the way out, it seems less "springy" than with it all the way in. I played with alot this passed weekend, and tried a few different settings. I noticed that the forks uncompressed ALOT harder/ faster with the clicker all the way turned in. (clockwise) It doesn't feel so harsh with it turned all the way out (counter clockwise).

Sorry for the bad explanations. I know very little on this subject.

Last edited:

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
Green Horn,
You should set all clickers back to stock and go from there. Then begin setting the compression first until you feel more stable on the bike, then adjust the rebound, other wise you will keep chasing the elusive balance.

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
How long ago were they "done" by MX-Tech? Send Jer a PM with your concern and the date when they were done, he will get you straightened out. If the oil level is too low it will top-out like you describe. The Marzok's are a little different inside than other forks.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I don't know off hand how long ago they were rebuilt. I think it's roughly between a year or year and a half ago. I am not sure how well it will work with putting the clickers back to stock, since the forks are no longer "stock". I will try to play with the compression too and see where that gets me. I'll also check the oil levels although they should be ok. (Patman is kind of anal about these things. :) )

Thanks for the input guys!

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Originally posted by Speedway
you will keep chasing the elusive balance.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if that's exactly what I am doing. :scream:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
After a long time of use you may well have a internal problem-the Mazzos are really bad for contaminating the oil and it may have had some effect-im not sure if they have a shim stack but if they have, any crud can hold the shims open.It maybe time to get them stripped and checked.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Ok, I was also informed to add a few more details about the bike. The suspension was originally set up for Patman. The springs are stock though. He is about the same weight as me, but I am taller. I tend to ride back further on the bike than he does. I am also a slower rider for the most part, and tend to sit alot. Needless to say, I don't load up the front forks as much as he did. Could or does this really have an effect on the rebound? Mainly when the front wheel is completely off the ground? It does feel fine if I keep the front loaded. But if the front suspension is compressed, and I quickly rise (ie. coming off a jump, coming out of steep incline etc...) the front will then "top-out".

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Sounds like a loss of rebound damping-cant see any other way of getting to the cause without looking inside the forks.

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
I agree...I've never seen inside one of these....don't know if they have a top-out spring? Maybe broken or sacked out? :think:

The rec to put the clickers back to stock was a good idea. This just gives you a reference point. Set both clickers to the half-way point if you don't have any specs. Then ride a familiar section of trail at about 60% of your normal pace. If it feels decent then go a little faster and see what happens. Kinda sneak-up on the speed so it doesn't spit you off. :eek:
I normally go 2 clicks at a time so the change is more noticeable. I don't have any experience with Zokes so I don't know how effective the clickers are. All forks/shocks have a sweet-spot....if it has thirty clicks it will work best at 12-18 clicks for example assuming they are set-up correctly. When stock a 30 click system may have to be at 6 out or 28 out....after a re-valve they should work at about the half-way point. If they have 14 clicks then 7 out would be ideal but it doesn't allways turn-out that way. :(

Just be careful....rebound problems WILL hurt you real quick.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…