rebound shock too slow

georgieboy

Jan 2, 2001
Hello guru's,
I own a husky with a boge sachs shock. I have dialed the rebound completely soft, but still it is too slow. It is packing in the whoops.
I like to fix the rebound myself, sort of education thing.
When i get it apart i will have a look to the shim stack at the rebound side of the piston.
Will it just be a matter of removing a few shims, or is there more to it?
Pls advice me before i take it apart, so i know what to aspect.
Thnks in advance for any help.

georgieboy

Jan 2, 2001
John Stu, it is slow by itself just by pushing on the seat. I ve been told that it is a boge sachs thing. I even read a topic about it.
I checked a lot of other brands/shocks and they all react a lot quicker when pushing the seat down and let it come back on its own.
So that is why i am thinking of revalving. Correct me if i am wrong.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
i dont think its a inherant problem-sounds like the rebound rod is stuck in its seat-not allowing any oil to bypass the shims.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
You know I used to work in a Husky shop and Ive seen more than a couple of these apart and Ive seen the lower clevis come loose on the shaft . On some types of shock assembies if the clevis is turned too far on the shock shaft there will be no range of adjustment . (the rebound needle will not back out far enough to flow oil ). Just a thought. Good Luck DEAN

georgieboy

Jan 2, 2001
I just got back from the garage. Took the spring of the shock and pushed the rod.
When i set the rebound fully open i can press the rod down, and then it slowly returns to full extension.
When i close the rebound setting(so fully in), i can hardly press the rod down and it won't extend anymore.
Is this normall?
Can a oil change get this rebound to work again.
I almost don't dare to say but i never serviced the shock and i ve got it for 4 years(shame on me).
Any thoughts, guys?

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
Yes the shock should be very hard to compress with rebound all the way in. I have only worked on a few of these shocks and i dont think i like them, very boge(s)!

georgieboy

Jan 2, 2001
I just took the shock apart. This what the stack looks like.
The piston got big flow holes for the compression and small holes for the rebound. Inner diameter of all shims is 17mm, except for one that i will address. I want to get a plusher ride, I weight with gear approx 65kgs
What option do I have??? Pls advice.
Rebound stack: Compressio stack:
34x .25 3x 38x .2
30x .15 36x .2
34x30x .25(this is the one) 32x .2
34x .25 24x .15
32x .25 34x .25
30x .25 30x .25
28x .25 26x .25
26x .25 23x .3
24x .25 22x .3
22x .25 18x .3
18x .30 clamping shim 33x2.0

Thnks in advance

georgieboy

Jan 2, 2001
Yes Dbrace, i can. I see that is a little scrambled.
By the way, the inner diameter is 12mm iso the 17 i said earlier.
Compression stack:
38x .2mm 3x
36x .2
32x .2
24x .25(transition shim?!)
34x .25
30x .25
26x .25
23x .3
22x .3
18x .3
33x2.4(clamping shim)

I hope the rebound stack is readable for you. As this too is a part of my concern.
I have seen a lot of shim stacks come by on this forum, but never saw shims being this thick. Normally i read like 0.10mm or 0.15mm thick.
Is it normall for shocks to have thicker shims???

georgieboy

Jan 2, 2001
Guys, i am a liitle disappointed.
DBrace you asked for an other write down of the shim stack but you gave no further comments.
Anyhow, i just finished working on the shock.
One of mine questions was, are the shims thicker in the shock as they are in the forks.
Doing a few searches under Marcusgunby's name gave me the answers.
Yes, shock shims are thicker then fork shims.
Concerning my rebound, i took the liberty to make it an two stage stack.
But will this work?
I know this tomorrow.
Further, i compressed with normall air, about 140psi(with my atb pump).
I feel great i pulled this myself, and looking forward riding it tomorrow.
bi for now.

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
I hope you read this before you ride ! Did you charge your bladder with air? If you did your shock will blow when the air gets hot. Thats why nitrogen is used. If you have access to shims i could help you play with the valving,but you need to know how to work on your shock correctly,otherwise the best valving in the world wont work.

georgieboy

Jan 2, 2001
Funny you say this Dbrace. This Air versus nitrogen thing has been dealed with before. I have read the topics about this, and nothing convinced me not to use it. As you know Fox started with the Air/oil-Fox shocks years ago. With succes as i believe. But when the valveing is right i will go to the shop to charge it with nitrogen, to avoid the dirty air and unstable pressure rizes.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…