rebuilt power valve still clicking

mudwalker

Mar 26, 2003
It sound the same after rebuilding top end/power valve. Under power It sounds like the main drive gear is stripped. After researching, could be either gear is stripped in which case I would see gear parts in engine oil. Or secondary power valve shaft nut to tight. Upon reassembly, I did feel some resistance while manually operating valve. Any input? Is there an easy test to check proper operation of valve.
If drive gear is culprit, is this a tough or easy repair? New gasket set required for bottom end? Clutch removal?

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I assume that since you rebuilt the PV, you would have spotted any stripped gears in the cylinder head? To inspect the plastic drive gear shown HERE you just need to remove the right side cover. It is not necessary to remove the clutch. Just be sure that if you remove the "claw" gear to get the cover off that you remember it's a left handed nut and the KIPS shaft needs to be supported like THIS . As to sticking, the right side subvalve rod has a small O-ring on it. If the bore that this rod slides in is spooged, carboned up or just dirty then this o ring will cause a lot of drag and the PV action won't feel smooth. I put a lot of effort into making sure that hole is clean and smooth when I clean the PV's, then I coat the rod with some anti-seize and the action is a lot better.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom