Receiver-Mount Cycle Carrier???? Need your input please

hunt4steve

fat guy on a bike....
Feb 5, 2007
Folks,

I'm looking for an economical way to carrier my WR250F behind my 4Runner. I have seen these before, but was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on these or if they have any experience with them, what was your experience? :cool:

Receiver-Mount Motorcycle Carrier
Jc Whitney $249

G_14436G_SW_3.gif

I also found an aluminum carrier for even less:

aluminum-motorcycle-carrier.jpg

AMC-400 for $159.

Any thoughts on these?

Last edited:

hunt4steve

fat guy on a bike....
Feb 5, 2007
tomorrow I'm going to spec out some steel, and figure out how much it would cost to build my own. Since I have welding skills and a very nice Millermatic MIG welder, I have the ability. But, if the price of the materials is approaching the cost of what the aluminum hitch costs, I might as well purchase it.....

mark808

Aug 22, 2006
i think the aluminum whould be the better choice. especially if the cost of building it yourself will be close, and i bet it will. easier to put on and off truck and less load on your trucks springs.

hunt4steve

fat guy on a bike....
Feb 5, 2007
Well, I ran the numbers and here is what I found.

The AMC-400 is $159 as listed above, and the S & H is 30 bucks. So, with Tax and all, I'm looking at about $200 bucks to get it to my door. I called my local steel shop and found that with all the metal I need, it comes to about $100 bucks. So, I'm going to be building my own carrier. The one thing I like about building my own unit, its all welded together, so stealing any parts off of it, is nearly impossible. I noticed with the aliminum unit, you could unbolt a few things, and take the entire tray, leaving just a stump sticking out of the bumper hitch....no joy for me at the end of the day. I have drawn up what I need, and I'll post it up when I get done, including cost of materials.

cheers

snb73

Nov 30, 2003

BadMotoWeazal

Aug 21, 2004
I have a Versa Hauler brand carrier that I use with my GMC 1500. I've had it about 4 years with no troubles. It's made of steel & weights about 90 lbs. My Ktm weighs about 235 + or -. I shopped around & I got a good deal off of ****. I liked the versa Hauler because it had an Anti-tilt lock bracket that keeps the carrier locked snuggly into the receiver. Check it out at: http://www.versahaul.com/home.html

hunt4steve

fat guy on a bike....
Feb 5, 2007
I thought about the one from Harbor Freight, but then I came across this article.
http://motorcyclebloggers.com/2006/...of-building-a-harbor-freight-folding-trailer/

and started to reconsider that option. I've had some large trailers in the past; 8'x16' to haul my 4Runner when I had a F250. When I had my Raptor quad, I had a small utility trailer (wish I still had that one), but sold it as well. So, now I'm thinking I would like to stay clear of the registration stuff for the trailer, and just make something simply that can haul the bike (260lbs or so) to the trails. The bike is registered for the street (don't ask how), but of couse the tires are not street material.

I really like the Versahaul trailer, but I just can justify spending that much money when I have the ability to build my own. I have a Millermatic DVI MIG welder sitting in my garage. I just purchased about 90 dollars in steel material, which is a heck of a lot cheaper than the cheapest carrier I could find ($159+ 30S&H+Tax). As for welding and my skills, I have designed my entire front suspension on my 1999 4Runner Limited with 12" FOX Racing coils, 3-Link D44 axle riding on 37" MT/R tires. With my 35" BFG tires, I can drive up to 85mph with no hint of Death Wobble, and I can crawl the canyons of Moab with ease. So, I'm confident in what I can produce. Basically, I over-engineer my products.

Anyhow, I'll post up my design (some ideas from the Versahauler), and my build when I get done.

hunt4steve

fat guy on a bike....
Feb 5, 2007
I've seen those on the net. Pretty cool idea, and a pretty expensive idea as well.

Top Bottom