Thunder Alley CRF450 slip-on exhaust mini-review

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Thunder Alley now has a dirt track down pipe for the Honda CRF 450, and I'm talking to them about making a downpipe for my YZF SuperMoto street bike.

Incredibly crappy weather has made additional testing on the CRF pretty much non-exsistent so far this year, but that should change in the next few weeks. I'll post an update as soon as I can.

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
Ok Rich i was determined not to spend money on a pipe for my new bike, but thanks to you i had to order a full system for my 250f..I got a low boy header with the system ....I cannot wait for this pipe..Ive been looking at the threads on various forums and really there was nothing bad said about the TA...We shall see. Bob is a great guy also, very informative..

Swiss

Nov 20, 2001
I have been building exhaust systems locally that are the same basic design as the Thunder Alley pipes since about 1990. The design enhances both the mid-range and the top end power. Never seen a loss in bottom end either. They flat out work like they are supposed to. They work well with fairly stock engines and with the full built radical ones also.

Swiss

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Swiss and I have talked a lot about pipes over the last few months and we both came to the conclusion that guys like him and Bob Murray at Thunder Alley will never get rich building pipes because they take the time and extra effort to build them by hand the RIGHT WAY , instead of cranking out shiny garbage on some mass production CNC pipe bender. It always makes me happy to see smaller companies get rewarded for providing good products.

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
Rich Rohrich said:
Swiss and I have talked a lot about pipes over the last few months and we both came to the conclusion that guys like him and Bob Murray at Thunder Alley will never get rich building pipes because they take the time and extra effort to build them by hand the RIGHT WAY , instead of cranking out shiny garbage on some mass production CNC pipe bender. It always makes me happy to see smaller companies get rewarded for providing good products.

I totally agree Rich. I am actualy very exited about this pipe..I am not worried how long it takes to get to my door. All i care about is how it performs, and from what Bob was saying it sounds like it will be great. I was thinking about the big names. FMF, PC, Akra...but i wanted to try something differant and hopefully it will be one of the best exhausts i have ever tried...Kudos to all the "small" big guys..

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Marc - Make sure and post a ride report once you get your pipe.

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
Rich Rohrich said:
Marc - Make sure and post a ride report once you get your pipe.

Oh no doubt about it Rich..He shipped it out Fri from Cali and im in CT so it should be here by mid-end of the week...Rich should i have to jet with my full system...Im not sure it your familar with the JD jet kit from Thumpertalk, but i have it dialed in on my bike really good..Very noticeable gain from stock..Just wondering what i should do if i have to do anythting..I am getting the full system with a low boy header..? Thanks Rich..

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
marcv125 said:
..Just wondering what i should do if i have to do anythting..I am getting the full system with a low boy header..? Thanks Rich..

I've never used any of JD's kits so I can't say how they will react with the Thunder Alley. I guess you'll be the one who tells us. :thumb:

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
Rich Rohrich said:
I've never used any of JD's kits so I can't say how they will react with the Thunder Alley. I guess you'll be the one who tells us. :thumb:

WOOT just got the pipe today ..will have a full review on sunday!!! looks beautiful...

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
marcv125 said:
WOOT just got the pipe today ..will have a full review on sunday!!! looks beautiful...

Look closely at it and you'll see how Bob Murray hand formed all the cones that make up the pipe. It's a real work of art. :thumb:

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Rich Rohrich said:
Look closely at it and you'll see how Bob Murray hand formed all the cones that make up the pipe. It's a real work of art. :thumb:

We used to have a section of a Murray collector on the front display case at Kosman.
It defined attention to detail, inside and out.
He built full merge collectors tig welded outside and inside.
The inside detail was part of the convergent flow smoothing in addition to the merge neck that showed what was inside was really the key and how much he cared. The coping and finishing required to create the requisite perfect single bead of tig weld that joined it all together really defined a level of detail only a tradesperson could appreciate.
Hence it was on our display case and we sold Murray sidewinders.
Sidewinder is a sick name, BTW...

Top Bottom