Recommendation for big 6 year old

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
My 6 year old weighs 70 pounds and measures 4 foot 5 inches. He's been riding his XR50 for several years now and races aggresively in the PW class. He just turned 6 in July. I want to upgrade his bike and am looking for recommendations. A local qualified pro recommends that he begin learing to use a clutch. Should we go this route, our options are narrowed to KX60, 65 or the like. The 65 looks like a killer bike but I'm worried it will be too much power for him. The 60 looks like he'll outgrow it tomorrow. Should we not go the clutch route, the options are much more open. XR70, KLX110, TTR90; but none of these have a real MX suspension, which I think he needs. A local KTM dealer says to stay away from the clutch and get him a KTM adventure. Nice looking bike but I'm afraid he will outgrow; and he won't learn to use a gearbox. Our goal is to continue riding and racing MX. As you can see, I'm overloaded with info here and am at a quandary as for making a decision. Any feedback would be very much appreciated. X-mas is coming soon and I need to get an order into Santa. :thumb:

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
If your not worried about results at the races and if, big if here, he has good throttle control, then go with a 65. Your local pro is right in that he learn to use the clutch.

Given his size, I would recommend the KTM 65. He'll get too heavy for the 50's and under AMA rules, you can not change much of anything to make the bike grow with him or change the suspension to match his weight. On the 65, look for a used one, no older than a 2000 model.

Plus by getting him on a 65, you'll be able to get several years out it, vs. a year on the 50 before you have to move up again.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
MXTex.

I totally agree with ktmdad. We went through all of the 50's, 60's and 65's with my grandson and the KTM 65 was the only one that he couldn't break in half. Spent a lot of time repairing frames and installing new bottom ends in all of the other engines except the KTM. Great little bikes. :thumb:

You will most likely be suprised how fast your son will learn to use the clutch and gears.

Just my $ .02

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I'll vote for the other side of this coin. Get a senior size 50. Not the adventure. Sounds like the KTM guy is trying to sell a bike. The 7-8 class bike from KTM, Cobra, And Polini Are all built really well now. They all have 12+ hp and an auto clutch. The bike will let him gain confidence while still learning proper body techniques.
Starting on a clutch now isn't a bad idea though. My son is 6 now too and races the 50 class and does fairly well. He turns 7 later this year and the 65 will be his present. He has ridden the 60 class bikes and done decent just not ready to race them.
If you throw him in the 6-9 65 class he will get smoked for a long while most likely. A stint in the 50 class will help him out. With confidence and riding in traffic.
Ol89er is right though. Its amazing how quick they learn to use a clutch. Faster than my wife did!

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000
My son is 7 also & he rides a KLX 110, I wanted to get him a KX 65, but he simply isn't tall enough ? Are you guys letting them ride even if they can't "flat foot" the bike ?? The KX65 is 29.5 seat height I think, its a good 5 inches taller than the 110.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Seat height on the KLX110: 25.6 inches
Seat height on the KX-65 : 29.9 inches
Seat height on the KX-60 : 28 inches

4.3 inches can be ajusted through suspention sag. Go with the KX or the KTM. He will learn the clutch quickly and enjoy the smokers better than the strokers.

My .02
Phillip

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by jsmith811
Are you guys letting them ride even if they can't "flat foot" the bike ??

Jsmith.

Ever notice all of those little blocks of wood laying around the starting gate at your local track?? ;)

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
jsmith811,

to answere your question, yes! When my son started racing the KTM 50 Pro Jr. he could only touch with the ball of one foot on the ground. When I put him on a KTM 65, it was tippy toe with the other leg slung over the seat. When he first started riding a RM80, I caught him.

IMO, when he can touch flat footed with both feet, he's too big for the bike. Most leg injuries with mini rider's come from a kid being to big for the bike and jamming his leg into the ground.

Granted, in MX it's not that important to be able to touch flat footed.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Yeah my daughter barely reaches with one foot on the CM. My son can get one foot flat with his leg slung over on the King. We really like one of our series that uses dirt starting gates. by the time we get to the line the ruts are deep enough for both kids to skip blocks. On the king we actually had the seat cut down about 1.5" so now there is 2" of clearance between the seat and his butt. The 7-8 or Senior class bikes are pretty close dimensionally to the 65's. At least Cobra and Polini. Especially the new 03's with the 12" fronts.
Jason

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000
We are not into the racing scene as much, although we do ride as much as 3 times a week & sometimes on the track. On the trail touching the ground is a little more important, although my kid has learned alot by not be able to touch so well. I'll proably go with the KX65 or KTM65 next, but I'm waiting until he is 8 or 9, don't want to push him too much. We are in it for 100% fun. We rode Daniel Boone MX track today in London, Ky & the little KLX110 done just fine, No 25' table tops, but it does ok. Someday they will make a KX110 or YZF150 & I'll be first in line. The four strokes are just friendly, especially for kids.

sprtstrhead

Sep 10, 2002
Dont make the mistake I made with my son thought the ktm65 was to big for him as he is short like me 4'5" at 9.We bought him the kx 60 at the start of this season and within 4 months he was jumping and riding to hard for the suspention on the 60.2 weeks ago we got the KTM65,he rides it better and alot smoother :yeehaw: so deffinatly go 65 .

thats my .02

chillywillyt

Jun 16, 2002
Just a little suggestion here. Buy a used 65, and then purchase an auto clutch for the bike.....if you can purchase a used autoclutch 65 than that would be even better. I trust KTM dad, he seems real knowledgable, but you know your son better than us and I dunno, xr50 to a ktm65 clutch...might be a real hard transition and too many things to think about. The autoclutch is expensive, but so is motocross. I bet in a 6 month span you can take it off and sell it without much loss to some other up and coming kid. The main thing here is to make sure that Junior is comfortable with the bike, he will learn better IN MY OPINION if he isnt scared of the bike or confused. I do agree with KTMDAD on the point of letting your kid outgrown a bike. My son started on kx65's when he was 5 and raced 80's when he was 6.....that was pushing it a little but i pretty much let him dictate the pace. He is just turned 9 and is 4-8 and 80 lbs but doesnt even race 65's anymore because he says they feal too small. I have seen a lot of kids that were too big on bikes get really hurt because their legs were tangled up in the handlebars when they crashed from being too big. anyways, as always this is just my opinion and good luck

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
chillywillyt has a good idea. The auto clutch is way cool. Its also about $500 but I have seen them on E*ay for less than $200. The only get used for a short time until the kid gets used to shifting. its totally reversible to go back to clutch once your ready.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by ktmdad
But isn't the auto clutch only for kx60's?

I've heard it will fit the 65 but never really checked it out. My kids don't race that class quite yet so it hasn't been a priority. They might not make them for the KTM yet.

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
I know that I looked into it back in '99. Berg was making the clutch kits then, but decided not to make one for the KTM.

Actually I'm glad that I didn't get one. Both boys learned to use the clutch rather quickly. As both boys race, I think that it would have only slowed thier progress. Plus it saved $500.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I don't think I'd spend the $500 either. My kid is clutchin my bike with me riding behind him and doing pretty well. It really is amazing how fast they learn at this age. So far only one wheelie down the drive. Good thing I had the rear brake covered!
but if you could get a good deal from auction site or but one already installed its not a bad idea. I see some of the guys practicing at the track and they have to get a running start before their kid lets the clutch out. I think to myself...man this is the third week you've been out here and it doesn't really look like your working on the clutch thing. If you teach them the get it quick.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I don't think I'd spend the $500 either. My kid is clutchin my bike with me riding behind him and doing pretty well. It really is amazing how fast they learn at this age. So far only one wheelie down the drive. Good thing I had the rear brake covered!
but if you could get a good deal from auction site or but one already installed its not a bad idea. I see some of the guys practicing at the track and they have to get a running start before their kid lets the clutch out. I think to myself...man this is the third week you've been out here and it doesn't really look like your working on the clutch thing. If you teach them the get it quick.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom