dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
My son is 8 years old, 4’8” tall and 80 some lbs. He’s been off his Polini for over a year and road it just last Sunday. We’ll he’s outgrown it for sure, so the question is what bike to replace it with. I’m in SoCal so I was hoping for a green sticker bike meaning 2003 and back and I was looking at the KX or RM65, KTM’s are out of my range right now. I may only get 9-950.00 for his X3-Works. I’m wondering if he’ll be too big for the 65 or outgrow that in one year too. I guess it’s like buying shoes, not in price, but in rotation. If we stay with the 65 we’ll be looking at 2000-2003 and would these be competitive in the stock 65 class with the newer 65’s? Also, he’s never worked a clutch or gears, so that will take some time to get down. He’s a good rider, but all he’s had to deal with is the gas and brake to this point.

Thanks for any input.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Yeah, I think he might be a tad big for the 65, but it's close, and if you do get a 65 you may need to re-spring it for his weight. You should have him test fit the 65 and the 85 at your nearest dealership and see which will fit him better.

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
I think your right. I hope to change my fuel lines on the truck Fri. AM and maybe get him by the dealer. I found a deal on a 2000 KX65, but he's very cramped on the 50 and the 65's don't look at that much taller.

I put my oldest on an YZ80 when he was 9, but it was too much power and we went to a XR100. That worked for him, but my youngest like tracks better than open stuff.

Thanks

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
My boy was about that age and size when we got his KX85. I had to cut the seat foam and lower the suspension in order for him to ride it. He's now going on 10 @ 120 lbs and he's growing into it well. He's done a couple of hare scrambles on it but it's still a handful for him at times.

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
I've been checking the specs (3" seat height diff) and I can get an 85 for about the same price range. It's just the power and he'll be new the the gears and such. Tonight we'll try him on both a 65 and 85 SMoto race bikes that his friend age 10 races. His buddy is smaller, but started racing flat track at age 5 and takes number 1 plates, just raced the big Queen Mary SuperMoto last weekend. So maybe with luck we'll find one this week and sell his Polini soon, I hope.

Top Bottom