Recovery Time for Shoulder Injury

plynn41

Jun 8, 2009
Well, I did it. Was out trying to teach my 10 year old how to ride fast and be safe at the same time, and had an incident. Moral of the story is to be careful about riding fast in tall grass.. Dumb me!

Bottom line, I'm 46 and broke my ankle, tore rib cage muscles, and dislocated and broke my right shoulder. I'm not concerned about the first two, but the shoulder is a real bummer. Doctor called it a "Anterior dislocation with proximal humeral fracture"--means the shoulder dislocated and the top of the humerus broke (but it's not too funny). Painful doesn't begin to describe it.

Doctor said it would take 6 months or so for the shoulder to heal, and cannot tell me yet if I'm looking at surgery (I'll need an MRI later on to know that). Right now, 3 weeks after the accident, I still can't lift my right arm.

QUESTION: Assuming I don't have to have surgery (I know I may be over optimistic here), how long have some of you guys been off your bikes after a similar injury? I don't expect to ride again until 2010.

Thanks!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom