martian

Mar 26, 2003
Just got my KDX 200, but they say I can't legally ride it this time of the year! It appears to be from now through the summer months.
I live in the San bernardino area of CA.

I'm bummed out, cause I really like this bike!
Does anyone know where I can ride in this area?
email me at [email protected]

Thanks,
Chris

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
What year is your KDX? It it is a 2003 model, you are screwed in California. May as well park it until November. I foresee a huge market for pre-'03 2 strokes in California. Since the KDX is exactly the same from '95 on, (except graphics) I recommend anyone considering one to get a used one. eBay has 'em all the time for around $2K. I got mine for $2100 from CEO in L.A. who used it 2 years in a row for a 5 day trip to Colorado. 10 days total on the bike. It was so new looking, it still had the white grease on the chain. I used to live in San Berdoo. I lived out near 40th and Waterman. I could ride from my apartment there to Las Vegas if I wanted and had the gas back in the 70's. I had a hodaka back then and street legalized it.

Superchief

Feb 11, 2003
Seems to be the problem out that way. i just bought an 03 Cr250r in sept of 02 and i'm moving out to california and ran into the same problem. something about emissions and all this other bull.... that only let's you ride certain times of the year. talked to the park ranger a buddy of mine knows at carnegie and he informed of the bad news. maybe new york is a better place to live, no bs laws about emissions and can ride anytime i want to roll the bike out of the garage.....lol

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Maybe with the buget problems in California, we will get lucky and not get all the government we are paying for. As far as I'm concerned, unless they can catch me, I haven't broken the law. I would find a beater bike basket case for $100 or so, register it, and put it's green sticker on my '03 if that is what it takes. No way a park ranger knows the nuances of one model year from another. I've only had them record the # off the green sticker, take my money and hurry me on so the next guy can pay up. Just don't do anything stupid like uncork the bike for big noise. If there is any law around, that will bring 'em in like a dinner bell. California's so bad now that I can't get my race gas anymore! I was told last weekend by my dealer that the 5 gallon can doesn't meet CARB (California Air Resources Board) anti spill guidelines. I had to go and buy a new can and transfer the fuel before I could leave that store. If you are caught transporting a can of gas using the old style of container, it is a violation and a ticket. Be warned. I'm even draining the tank before transporting my bike into a CARB approved can because I'm sure there will be a check point someday on the approach to one of my OHV riding areas soon.

Superchief

Feb 11, 2003
Guess it's getting a little ridiculous!!!!! here is an idea....let's just ban any kind of motorized vehicle....come on...like these people have nothing better to do all day? get a life! i'm sure that there are ways around the sticker thing, and i'm sure the rangers are'nt checking over every bike. biggest problem i have is i bought a pro-ciruit pipe with a R-304 silencer (with a race end cap) and to my disadvantage you need a spark arrestor to ride in the parks out in CA.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Thanks for the update on the can being grandfathered. However, The VP dealer will not let me leave the store with the fuel in their can and they won't let me transfer from their can to my old style can. On one hand, there is no more $10 deposit on their can, but my new CARB container cost me about $20. A riding buddy of mine just bought Union 76 race gas. There was no deposit and when he opened it, there was a seal that had to be broken in order to pour.

Last edited:

pmeade

Jun 3, 2002
I was pleasantly surprised to open a letter from the DMV to find a 2004 green sticker for my 2001 KDX200. Prior to that, I had already been issued a 2004 red sticker. I hope this means they should replace all the red stickers issued to 2002 and older bikes.

I haven't seen a clear description of why they changed the regulation. If anyone can point me to that information I'd love to read it!

Perry
'92 KDX200
'95 KDX200 (California Street Legal)
'01 KDX200 (with every bell and whistle known to CDN Dave)
'75 DT125 (actually, it's the wife's bike. Yeah, that's the ticket)

SpeedBump

Dec 15, 2002
Don't stress to much about the red sticker restrictions. It seems where I am that officially red stickers are issued but unofficially they aren't checked. I'm in the Sacramento area foothills btw.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom