David M

Nov 28, 2002
I'm replacing the piston/rings, so while I'm in there tearing everything apart, I thought I'd put new reeds in. The bike, a '98 220, has a FMF fatty with a FMF Turbine core silencer. I don't think it has had any carb work done. Smooth power delivery focusing on the low end power is the priority here. So, does anyone have any Reed recommendations? BTW, I know the fatty pipe is not the best choice here, but it came with it. It also came with a spare FMF Gnarly, but it's bent and I have to find a shop that can straighten it before I put it on. So when giving reed recommendations, keep in mind the Gnarly will someday be the pipe on the bike. -david

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
You want to go with a low tension reed for low end power. Either that or a setup that'll give a boost across the full rpm range. CC says DFII will. It will most likely cost a bit more though.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Boyesan 607 Power Reeds worked well in my 220 when I had it. There are varying reports on adding Rad valves to Kaws, and I don't know if the V-Force II will work as well in a 220 as it does in CC 2 hunny. For the $30 you do notice quicker throttle response with the Boyesan 607's.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I second the Boyesen Power Reed recommendation. It's the best bang for the buck at around$30. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, many have reported that the V-Force II works very well.

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
I have the DFII in my 220 w/ the gnarly woods pipe. I'm very happy with it, more bottom end from the pipe. And little more top end from the DFII, but you can set them for bottom end( I think that's how CC runs them). You never mentioned which Gnarly pipe you have. Buy the way, I hope you didn't get another oem piston for your 220. There have been alot of complaints lately of stock pistons cracking on the 220. My bike is still fairly new(2002), but I just got weisco piston kit today.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
I'm glad to see you're replacing your 220 piston with a Wiseco. The stock 200 pistons are great the stock 220 pistons have a reputation for cracking if the engine has been modified and ridden aggressively.

I'd second FredT on the Boyesen reeds. If you've got more money to spend look to the V-Force.

FMF offers two pipe profiles for 95-03 KDX200/220s. One a rev pipe and the other a torque pipe. Through the years their name has changed i.e. Fatty, Burly, Gnarly but all use the same profile. It could well be your Fatty and Gnarly are exactly the same profile. Have a look on the mounting tab that sits just beside the kick-starter. A K-30, KB-30 or KG-30 will be a rev pipe and a K-35, KB-35 or KG-35 will be a torque pipe.

David

Top Bottom