kevin c.

Jan 28, 2003
Ok I have read post on reeds and the hop up guide too. I am still confused, I am planing to send my carb to RB for the carb mod and I figured while the carb was off then I would modify the intake side of this thing, not sure what to do... just reeds or a new setup or what, (03 220, fmf rev, air box mods, suspension mods too)
thanks Kevin

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
If you have the cash, the Delta V-Force II reed system is the way to go. It is very much well worth the $$$. Throttle response is incredible.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Love to read positive input on the DFII.

It's an excellent product.

Knowing my riding buddy got the DFII for the kdx started in the first place and I got to ride the prototype 'testers' is particularly gratifying.

'I was there when...........'

Cheers!

GREENHORNET

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2003
I have a BOYSen rad valve, its what JEFF Fredette recomends. The throttle response is amazing, it helps with the whole power band, i would go with boysen. DF2 has two set of reeds one for hi response and one for low- why monkey around with taking the reed cage apart when you want a different response when boysen does it all in one set of reeds.

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by GREENHORNET
I have a BOYSen rad valve, its what JEFF Fredette recomends. The throttle response is amazing, it helps with the whole power band, i would go with boysen. DF2 has two set of reeds one for hi response and one for low- why monkey around with taking the reed cage apart when you want a different response when boysen does it all in one set of reeds.
Because the VForce reeds will last at least 3 times longer and gives better performance.Canyancarvr has tried the Rad Valve and others and here is his experience. http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?threadid=77641

Last edited:

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
Quick question folks--I just ordered the Pro Series Boyseen replacment reeds today. I studied the kawparts diagram and it's unclear to me whether a new reed valve gasket is required or not?...Just going with the reeds at this time--maybe I'll upgrade down the road...but right now I'm satisfied with the mods I've made and really just don't feel like dropping $150+ for the Delta VF or Radvalve set up(see JUSTKDX-Dave's rationale in the hopup tips section) ...Anyway, thanks for your responses in advance...John

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: see JUSTKDX-Dave's rationale in the hopup tips section (re: radvalve)

Yeah. DO see that! He's right!

re: new gasket

Huh? There's a gasket there? ;)

I've 'recycled' my old gasket a good 1/2 dz. times. No leaks, yet.

PPsssst....don't tell anyone, but I use a t-h-i-n layer of rtv (silicon) on the gasket when I do take it apart. Certainly not something you want oozing into your intake (thus the thin part). I've had better luck with permatex blue (hi temp) than the 1-each black stuff.

re: why monkey?

Cuz the benefit is so well worth whatever 'monkeying' is required.

To each his own. Anyone that likes the radvalve is more'n welcome to keep on usin' it. Including mr. fredette. But then, he thought 'monkeying around' with the rb carb wasn't 'worth it' either.

Just because I like the DFII doesn't amount to diddle. It's YOUR bike!

...and if I'm glad I don't have the boyesen POS on MINE....so what?

It helps to compare the two sets on different bikes side by side...then the two setups on the SAME bike back-to-back.

Nah....I just pick this stuff out of hat!

Cheers!

flyinzuki

Jan 27, 2001
John,
I cannot comment on the DFII, but I can tell you that you will be happy with the Pro Series reeds, I won a set for my RM 125 a few years ago, and have
loved them since, no trouble yet. I installed a set in a friends '02 KDX with some smoothing of internal surfaces of the reed cage, power was increased at all points. He is very happy

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Kevin,

If you decide that you'd like to go with the Boyseen Rad Valve contact me.  I'll sell you a new one for half the typical asking price.  For any bike.

Takopoki

Sep 20, 2002
Originally posted by KelvinKDX
Kevin,

If you decide that you'd like to go with the Boyseen Rad Valve contact me.  I'll sell you a new one for half the typical asking price.  For any bike.

Kelvin, what is your contact information? Thanks

GREENHORNET

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2003
Hey thats cool u ride with what you got and i'll ride with i got. I'm not going to fight over this cause i can not prove any thing, besides were just out to have fun right?? Lets not get all bent out of shape- i simply gave my 2 cents on it. it is purely based on what i read- by all means i'm only human not out there to crush anyones thoughts and ideas, sorry if i steped any toes. CANYNCARVR- I know you have more experience than myself- so i look apon you for anwsers, i know little. Thanks :)

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
GreenH, it's not a heavy vibe(yet) :) CC is just very much in tune with the VForce and seems to know the strengths of the different reeds.I understand he did beta testing for Moto Tassanari during the development of the Delta II for the KDX.He is probably very proud of the VForce as I would be in the same situation.Maybe it seemed like you were dissing the VForce without fully knowing the product.The VForce is not just some reeds.It is a whole reed cage system.I am really looking forward to trying the VForce with my setup.I am thinking of getting the RB carb mod first though.I just ordered some $25.99 Boysen Power Reeds as Canadian Dave recommends to start with.I will then know how to guage the performance when I try the VForce.When your trying to get the absolute best performane out of a maxed out KDX monster,the VForce only makes sense. It's all good GreenHornet.As Master Yoda would say; "May the VForce be with you". You can read about the patented VFORCE 3 right here.http://www.snowwest.ca/V force/delta_home_page.htm

Last edited:

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
hey canyncarvr,
are these the reeds u have? http://dbsracing.com/dirtairfuel.html. i thought they were more expensive. $130 doesn't sound bad if you get the whole setup. plus i like monkeying with my bike. the computer thing said they were available for an 89 kdx 200. hope so. oh, did you have the rb carb before the DFII reeds or after? thought about doing both, just wondering which to do first.

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
I am wondering if they have worked out the kinks of the RB carb.Initially they were known to be really finicky about the jetting.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I had the carb done (rb'd) before the DFII came along. It's nice to do 'things' one at a time. Helps to keep 'things' straight in yur haid as to what works and how.

A bit of a fine point, but my riding buddy was in the thick of the development of the DFII for the kdx. I rode a couple of their prototypes on his bike (in comparison to my radvalved bike), but he was the one that went through the trouble of changing stuff around and talking with moto tassinari about what he 'figgered' about their latest effort.

The jetting for the RB carb is fine. No, it wasn't to start with. With the help of ron, dan, fishhead and jd, it's pretty much a dialed in matter. You may (and you should) want to fine tune it to fit you and your riding style...but it's good to go now.

89kdx: Nope. That's a DFII pic, but not the DFII for the kdx. The pic is a 12 petal setup (4 reeds, three petals per) that ( I think) is for the kx, for one. The kdx uses an 8 petal reed, which you can see:
HERE!

A pic is attached to one of my posts..about #7 on the thread.

GH: You kinda missed the point. 'Fighting' over anything is not the point at all. Again, you're more than welcome to use any setup you want to if you're happy with it. If it suits you it tickles me.

But.. 'monkeying around' with stuff is certainly not a bad thing. The rb carb isn't what it is because everyone has sat around looking at it! Ha! I can imagine the looks of ron, dan and ralph about the two-hundredth time they ran yet another dyno test and someone saying, 'Hey! Why monkey around with all that crap when the oem kdx works just fine!!??'

And the first DF valve in the kdx was a piece of crap. So was the second one. So was the third one. Yeah...we should've stopped messing with it right off! Then we'd all be 'happy' with boyesen! ;)

Cheers!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The URL listed doesn't clearly say, does it? They list DFIII units, and then list motorcycle applications, but they don't say they are DFIIIs.

The part number listed for the DFII is V2M031. Odd that would be the same number for the DFIII.

...and mototassinari told me on the phone only a couple of weeks ago that they did NOT have a DFIII for the kdx.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom