Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
Rant Mode On:

In the game of hockey, 10-0 after the first 15 minutes of play usually equals a very p.o'd under dog, which equals dumb penalties. I'd think the refs would be smart about it to.

During the beginning of the third period, score is 13-1 now, the other team tries to break out, and I check the guy that tries to carry it out. We both hit the ice, as I'm getting up the kid butt ends me in the throat. I lose all wind, I can't breathe. I was breathless for 40-50 seconds. I didn't know what the heck was going on...sure you'd think the culprit would get at least a 2 minute minor? Nope. Nada, zip, zilch. No penalty. Here I am, winded on the ice, skating back to the bench, haven't had a breath of air in god knows how long. The refs worried about the face off placement. Not whether or not he should give the other kid a penalty. Everyones going crazy by this time, and it seems as if the ref is scared to give the guy a penalty. After this I was only able to play two, 40 second shifts for the next 18 minutes because as soon as I'd start breathing heavy, everything would tighten up.

This was only the beginning. The rest of the period was chaotic.

A kid kicks another kid while he's down. Penalty? Nope.

Kid punches the back up goalie, while he's on the bench. Nope.

We get a bench minor, because the crowd cheered when our guy made a hit. It's a hockey game, right? We asked him, why did we get a penalty? "The crowd was cheering because you guys made a hit." (Not the only stupid thing he said during the game.)

I don't see why the score would influence which calls the ref makes (I can understand small calls). But when it involves kicking, with a skate on. :whoa: That's how kids get hurt.

Shaking hands, here I am saying "Good game", and we're getting insults thrown back at us and punches in our shoulder. (There's the playful, "Hey good game buddy" punch, then theres the wham, i hate you punch)

I don't know, I think we were all lucky to walk out of it in as good as shape as we did. I just don't think refs should judge their calls on the score. Sure if we get stupid and slash a player when we shouldn't, they should call that. Which they did. But I don't see why they didn't call the other stuff. I also don't think they should condone(sp?) the behavior of the other team because they're playing a bad game.

In the end, I'm stuck with a raspy voice, sore throat, and 1g, 2a. I guess there's a price to pay for everything, right?

I think we just fell victims to poor reffing, but then again most people think that they're always the victim. I can honestly say though, with the last game that resulted in a suspension for me, I played it cool this game.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

Rant Mode Off :blah:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I've been on every side of that equation both as a player and a long time Level III ref. First most ref's by nature are going to cut some slack to a team getting hammered. That being said serious infractions like a butt end wouldn't qualify for any slack by me, however he may not have seen that infraction (they can't see everything). Things do get ugly though when a team is up 10-0 and keeps the heat on, including playing aggressively. No one likes to get thrashed and when an obviously superior team keeps the heat on the other team is going to react that's just they way it is and always will be.

As far as telling the guys good game after thrashing them, usually most guys are not going to be too receptive or sense any sincerity to the statement.

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
Chili said:
however he may not have seen that infraction (they can't see everything)..

Yeah, that's true. I should have included in my post that this was on the blue line, no more than 7-8 feet from the linesman. Made direct eye contact with me, and yelled something at me. Of which I didn't hear, I don't know what he could have said though that'd be a reason for not calling the penalty on the play.

I ended up with a pretty sore throat though, hurts every time I take a deep breathe and swallow.

Ahh well, all part of the great sport of Hockey I guess. :cool:

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
elliot67 said:
I should have included in my post that this was on the blue line, no more than 7-8 feet from the linesman. Made direct eye contact with me, and yelled something at me. Of which I didn't hear, I don't know what he could have said though that'd be a reason for not calling the penalty on the play.

A linesman can't call a penalty, he can offer assistance to the ref in the case of a match penalty for deliberate attempt to injure.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I thought this was something I'd understand, but then these two guys just started talkin' Canadian and lost me . . . blue line? butt end? bench minor?

;)

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Happens in soccer too - my brother got a torn ACL from a really bad tackle in a match - the ref had been letting EVERYTHING go and didn't even red card the guy for the tackle. First and only time I've ever cursed directly at a ref.

Of course, he was about 18 y/o and trying to ref an adult league match filled with college and former college players ranging from 18-35. . .

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
Yeah. I've had it happen in basketball too.

I was also in front of their net, and the puck just got cleared and was on the red line, and I was on my way back.. At about the top of the circles this guy came out of no where and checked me. He got a charging penalty. No interference? Unsportsmanlike? Roughing?

I just don't agree with them letting things go, I can agree with the odd slash or hook, that isn't major, but kicking a down player.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
elliot67 said:
I was also in front of their net, and the puck just got cleared and was on the red line, and I was on my way back.. At about the top of the circles this guy came out of no where and checked me. He got a charging penalty. No interference? Unsportsmanlike? Roughing?

Exactly how many penalties did you want him to receive for the same infraction?

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
Chili said:
Exactly how many penalties did you want him to receive for the same infraction?

Being that the same ref was at a previous game, in which I got 3 penalties (Cross checking, unsportsmanlike, roughing) on one play, for cross checking a guy after the whistle, because he was hacking at our goalie. I expected him to get a different penalty, if not more.

The penalty could have been so many though, charging, unsportsmanlike, interference etc. So I kinda understand where you're coming from.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
elliot67 said:
Being that the same ref was at a previous game, in which I got 3 penalties (Cross checking, unsportsmanlike, roughing) on one play, for cross checking a guy after the whistle, because he was hacking at our goalie. I expected him to get a different penalty, if not more.

here's the scenario I envision in your circumstances, could be off base but it plays out in rinks all the time like this.

Guy hacks goalie as a good D-man (as you should) you drill the guy to the ice getting the cross checking penalty. He get's up and you pop him in the cage and the ref adds on the rough, then you beak off to the ref on the way to the box trying to rationalize your penalties by pointing out the guy hacked the tender, bingo unsportsmanlike.

In the other case the guy ran you and got a penalty. Generally speaking the ref is not going to give multiple penalties for the same infraction. Had he drilled you in the cage getting up, hacked you as you skated away without retaliating then he likely should have got more.

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
Actually, I can honestly say. All I did was cross-check him. On the way to the penalty box, I didn't know what penalties I was getting so I just skated into the box. While I was in the box was when the ref told me I got Roughing, Cross-checking and Unsportsmanlike. That's when I raised my eyebrow and called the A captain over to see what the heck was going on.

I completely agree with the common scenario though. I've seen that before, that's not very pretty. Especially the aftermath. Takes the fun out of it to tell you the truth.

I was kinda on the edge of whether or not I should post this, because I know how hockey games are, and how people always think the refs are out to get them. There are two sides to every story.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Ran in to the same type of stuff this past weekend in San Antonio. My son's team went to Western District playoffs and out first game was against the #1 team in San Antonio. Since we were plating on their fields I didn't expect much equitable officiating and we sure didn't see any! The game ended up a 0-0 tie which REALLY hacked off the other team because they had even gotten one of the strangest calls I've ever seen, a called back goal for a player being off sides when the play was on side up until the goalie came out and got juked. Of course it took about 60-90 seconds for them to decide this and had almost placed the ball back in the center when a change was called. Go figure. The other two games that day were called pretty fair but none of the teams were from San Antonio, yet all of them commented to each other how the home team got some pretty obvious help. The nice part was they didn't end up winning so I guess it all came out in the wash.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
baseball is what kills me. heres the scenario:

im pitching. the batter is a righty. i throw him a nasty curveball, curves away then back towards him, hits right in the middle, blue calls it a ball. everytime a throw a curve( or a wary fastball), he calls it a freakin' ball! :yell: never played ice hockey( only street), so i cant account for that. basketball refs have issues too.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Patman said:
Ran in to the same type of stuff this past weekend in San Antonio. My son's team went to Western District playoffs and out first game was against the #1 team in San Antonio. Since we were playing on their fields I didn't expect much equitable officiating and we sure didn't see any!
Ain't nothin' like home cookin'!

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
an example of bad reffing in the Carolina/Pittsburgh game yesterday. 2 extra( players that were supposed to be on the sidelines) Steelers players were standing on the field chatting with each other while play was in progress, there were 13 players on the field, no call. block in the back by Pittsburgh, no call.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
kawicam250 said:
an example of bad reffing in the Carolina/Pittsburgh game yesterday. 2 extra( players that were supposed to be on the sidelines) Steelers players were standing on the field chatting with each other while play was in progress, there were 13 players on the field, no call. block in the back by Pittsburgh, no call.

Uh, yeah, like that mattered after the drubbing the Steelers had handed out to the Panthers.

:ahhh:

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
Hockey? Oh yea, right. That's that silly ice skating game that uses funny sticks and some kinda black thingy sliding around.

Hacking, drilling, cross-checking......what the heck it that?

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
Hogwylde said:
Hockey? Oh yea, right. That's that silly ice skating game that uses funny sticks and some kinda black thingy sliding around.

Hacking, drilling, cross-checking......what the heck it that?

its Canadian. we wouldnt understand this bilinchy( threw that out there to confuse Pred)-of-a-game. :think:

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
You brought up hockey in this. That's why I used hockey. But you know, we understand all the terminology in it. Unlike you and hockey.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
elliot67 said:
You brought up hockey in this. That's why I used hockey. But you know, we understand all the terminology in it. Unlike you and hockey.

:rotfl: this thread was born from hockey!! i didnt bring it up, it was already brought up. i understand hockey, i used to play it, but its generally a Canadian sport. terminology is a word you use to attack Pred, no one else ;) .

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
kawicam250 said:
. . . terminology is a word you use to attack Pred, no one else ;) .
wha?

Attachments

• knight.jpg
    knight.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 98

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom