bratt

Pain in da butt
Mar 22, 2002
Anyone ever do this? A friend of mine has asked if I could reformat his hard drive. I've never done it and I'm not sure what is involved or how difficult it is to do. If anyone has any experience or advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
a windows 98 boot disk is probably the easiest way.

insert the disk, and let the computer boot up to a "c" prompt. type format c: /s . This will create a bootable (to a prompt) drive

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Make sure you track down drivers for all the hardware on the machine before trashing it unless you have them on disk already.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by Tony Eeds
Make sure you track down drivers for all the hardware on the machine before trashing it unless you have them on disk already.
I 2nd that! Make damn sure you have your drivers, especially the one for your CD

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
If we are talking a Windows 98 installation here is a set of instructions I made for a less than computer literate buddy of mine to follow.

Step 1 – Make sure your cd-rom will be readable in DOS
-Put Win 98 cd in cd-rom drive
-Put Win 98 Boot Disk in Floppy Drive.
-Restart computer
-Select Option 1 start computer with cd-rom support
-Most bios versions will create a Ramdrive to load the diagnostic tools of the boot disk if yours does this then your cd-rom drive letter will be bumped up one letter from D: to E: most usually unless you have multiple HD’s or Partitions.
-Finding the appropriate drive letter for your cd-rom can usually be done by looking at the last line before you get your DOS A:> prompt it should read MSCDEX etc etc Drive E= etc etc if that is the case Drive E is your cd-rom
-Once you have determined the correct drive letter for your cd-rom type that drive letter at the a prompt i.e. A:\>E: then hit enter, this should change the A prompt to an E prompt. Type DIR at the E prompt this will then list the contents of the drive if one of the folders is WIN98 you are seeing the cd and can proceed to step 2 if you don not see this folder or get an error you are either in the wrong drive letter or your cd-rom isn’t getting the needed DOS driver from the boot disk (fairly rare).

Step 2 – Formatting the Hard Drive
-Change the E: prompt to C: if you have multiple HD’s you may want to type DIR and verify you are about to format the correct drive before toasting all your data
-Once certain you have the correct drive at the C: prompt type format C:\ assuming it is C you want formatted. Command will look like C:\>format C:
-You will get ominous message about losing all your data make your choice as it’s the point of no return after you hit yes J
-Drive will do some diagnostics then format the drive
-You will get asked to assign a drive label, none is required but you can name it if you wish

Step 3 – Re-installing Windows 98
-at the C prompt type mkdir C:\WIN98
-this will have created a directory on your C drive called WIN98
-at the C prompt type D: to switch to the cd-rom drive, it may or may not have switched back to being the D drive after the format if you go to D and type DIR and do not see the WIN98 folder then check drive E
-Once you find the appropriate drive for the cd you want to switch to the WIN98 directory do this by typing cd WIN98 the prompt should now be D:\WIN98> assuming we are in drive D now you need to copy the necessary files from the cd to the Hard Drive which will aid installation to do this type copy *.* C:\WIN98 i.e. D:\WIN98>copy *.* C:\WIN98
-You should see all the files copying to your C drive once that is complete you are ready to begin installation
-Switch back to the C drive and then into the WIN98 directory
-Type setup.exe and follow the prompts to install
-Once completed you can delete the folder WIN98 in your C drive if you need the space if not it’s handy to keep on as then anytime Windows needs a file where you would usually have to find and put in the cd you can just direct it to C:\WIN98 and you won’t need the cd.

In step 3 you can simply run setup from the cd but I like to copy the files over and run it from the HD as I have had windows stop recognizing the cd-rom during installation in the past.

I hope this helps and if any of the many folks on here with way more pc skills than I have notice any problems with the directions please correct them!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom