Registered my KDX200 today and they gave me a plate...

alisawildman

Feb 6, 2004
My question is...do you guys really put it on your bike?
I'm just asking because it would make the bike look weird and i'd have to drill holes in my new bike. Can i just fold it in half and keep it in the fender pouch? :laugh:
AL

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
Get out the drill. Make sure to use some lock tite on the nuts so you don't have go looking for it on the trail or pay for a replacement.

layoutd

May 17, 2004
What did you have to do to get the plate? If nothing, can i get a tag in Mass?
I don't want to buy all the "junk" just to pass one inspection

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
My KDX has been plated for 4 years now, but I haven't put the plate on yet. Haven't needed it. Well, I did duct tape the plate to the fender for a National enduro last year. But, what I did was purchase a second fender, they're cheap on E b a y. Just look for someone who put an MX fender on their bike. Then you can put the plate on that one and swap them out as necessary.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Yes, I have an AL liscnese plate, Title and registration for my bike. So, I could ride it around. Of course, if you get stopped without all of the "stuff" like a working brake light or legal tires, the cop can write you a ticket for all of those violations.

The reason I got that plate was for rural areas and National Forest roads where they won't bother you if you have a plate on your bike. Also, you need them to race certain enduros.

Fortunately for me, the previous owner had already titled the bike in Alabama. So, all I had to do was take my bill of sale and that title and get it transfered. when I did that, I got the plate. All the while I was acting like it was a street bike, and those ladies don't know the difference. I walked out with my plate and registration sticker with no inspection.

But, if you want to do this, you will need to get an application for a title and have your bike inspected by a state trooper. Once the trooper signes the inspection form verifying that your bike has all of the necessary equipment to be street legal, you go back and apply for the title. Then you get the plate.

Lemming and KDXfile here on DRN, have both gone through this in Alabama. You might post another thread outside of the KDX forum to ask them about it.

Tim

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
I have a Vermont plate on mine. The top of the plate goes right up to the bottom of the tail light with just enough room to take the lens off if need be. I used 3/16" pop rivets with washers under the fender to hold mine on. I just bent it to fit.

Street registration is needed to run the enduros and turkey runs, although nobody I know has all the legal equipment necessary to escape a ticket if the police want to scrutinize the bike.

I rode by the local state policeman's house one day when he was outside and off duty, and he just looked at me with his jaw hanging! I just smiled and waved (not that he could see me smiling) and went on my way.

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
I have a VT street plate and MA ORV/ATV plate (got it before the street plate and it hasn't expired yet). Jackpiner has is right because either one will just barely fit between the tail light and the tip of the rear fender with a little creative metal bending to form the plate.

Use the street plate stictly for enduros, not brave/foolish enough to venture onto the streets of MA.

alisawildman

Feb 6, 2004
Mrobbins finally got my plate after your info in "places to ride" area about me wanting to ride in Freetown State Forest.
Thankyou for all your information.
It really helped me out.
AL

Top Bottom