gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
I just installed a differnt carb on my 220. a used 36. i think it is too lean in mid range. the old stock carb i rejetted after i replaced the pipe. should i just go ahead and swap out the main and pilot from the stock carb to the new 36??? the air screw when hot was at a full 3 turns.............

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Did you pick up a used 35mm KDX carb or the larger bodied 36mm carb? The 36mm is physically larger than the 35mm and smaller carbs.

No you certainly don’t want to install the main jet out of your 33mm carb, it will be way too lean. You can likely use the needle if you’d like and perhaps the pilot, depending on what carb you have, but the main jet would get you into trouble.

Let us know what carb you have and we’ll take it from there.

David

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
other resources that you may find helpful.

Carbparts.com has generic jetting info for replacement pwk's. once you get your carb id'd you can start there. The pwk's had a small body and a large body. If I recall correctly the small body came in sizes from 28-35 mm and the med body from 36-38-?? mm. Some have put med bodied carbs on the kdx. Sage might be able to help you out with a manifold combo

It may take a bit of work as most oem carbs are tweaked from the generic spec slides and needle jet but you will be close. Carb parts has been pretty helpful

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
gnarley

is it the same dimension as the kdx or larger? The 36 is a big carb and the 35 will be the same size as the kdx carb. The 35 actually measures out at 35.5 or so.

hope that helps

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
ok, thats it. i used a caliper ans it came out to be 35.5, so i figured it was a 36..... sorry

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
So can you guys give a starting point on the pilot jet, and a main, so I have a reference poin to start at? I really didn't want to buy a handful of each.

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
I do not know what it came off of........
I did, however, find in the back of my owners manual, a list of pilots, and mains for this carb. I also found the standard settings on the carbparts.com page. right now, i have a 45 pilot, and a 165 main. when I got the float set right, i tried it, and found the main to be way too rich. also, the air screw is out 3 turns still. am I still too rich on the pilot as well?

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
some pwk's have a different needle jet height which affects needle length. If you have the stock needle for it that might be helpful.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom