Rekluse Auto Clutch About to be Released

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
I called the guy yesterday at Rekluse and he said they are testing out the KDX version now. They are still planning on late Feb for release - but he said it would be early March before they are available.

I have had the opportunity to ride a few bikes now with auto clutches - and I have to admit I am hooked.

Any other folks going to get the Rekluse? Seems to be top-notch at half the price.

just so I can research it - what other companies offer the auto clutch for the KDX200 (H model)?

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
I have an EFM, on my '01 220.
Revloc is the 3rd mfr. I'm not sure if they make a KDX model.
I raced the Renegade, last Sunday. For my riding style, there are no downsides. It's going to be an individual decision on wether it's good for you, or not.
It is DIFFERENT, takes some re-training to not try to grab the clutch all the time. BTW, my clutch lever was switched to a rear brake activating do-hickey. There is a cable that runs down to the rear brake master cyl., that pulls up on the back side of the foot lever pivot. It's not powerfull, can't lock up the rear when moving, but it will hold you on an incline.

farcry2

Jun 23, 2003
My questions about the clutch are:
Does the bike freewheel when throttle is chopped? I'm wondering about engine breaking for downhills and turns.
How different are wheelies? First concern is just lifting the wheel for obstacle, second if for fun factor and still being able to hang wheelies through the gears.
Does anyone know if mods will be required to the clutch basket with the rekluse design? Will steel driven plates be required? Will the clutch cover require a spacer?
I am considering purchasing one when they come out.

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
farcry2 said:
My questions about the clutch are:
Does the bike freewheel when throttle is chopped?
(No, unless you lock up the rear wheel, first, disengaging the clutch. Then it freewheels until rpms re-engage the clutch.)
I'm wondering about engine breaking for downhills and turns. (Clutch stays engaged until rpms drop to idle, or so.)
How different are wheelies? First concern is just lifting the wheel for obstacle, second if for fun factor and still being able to hang wheelies through the gears. (Throttle wheelies are the same, depending on your speed and what gear you are in.)
Does anyone know if mods will be required to the clutch basket with the rekluse design? Will steel driven plates be required? (Can't tell you that....)
Will the clutch cover require a spacer? (EFM needed one for my 220.)
I am considering purchasing one when they come out.

Rods_KDX

Aug 24, 2003
Rekluse auto clutch?

moridin said:
I called the guy yesterday at Rekluse and he said they are testing out the KDX version now. They are still planning on late Feb for release - but he said it would be early March before they are available.
I recently contacted Rekluse after reading this post, here is the email from them:
"Thank you for contacting Rekluse Motor Sports! We are not currently
producing the z-Start Clutch for the KDX200's. We are continuing to grow
our product line and manufacturer base ... so please keep us in mind as
we may bring this model onboard in the months to come. You can keep
updated via our website:

www.rekluse.com

Patrick Koether
Customer Service Representative
Rekluse Motor Sports"

Does anybody know if they are still considering building one for a KDX?

marksharp

~SPONSOR~
Sep 29, 2002
Revloc for a KDX

Yes, Revloc does make a clutch for the KDX, I have one. The above answered questions are correct for the Revloc as well.
(ie. downhill engage, wheelies, etc.) While riding at the Kentucky Lake Turkey Bay area last week, I discovered another advantage, plowing through gooey mud. Just put it in 2nd gear and dial it on. No slip and slide just power to the ground, and S-12's helped too. It's easy to get hooked on the auto clutch set up. Really makes it fun and forgiving in tough spots.

farcry2

Jun 23, 2003
Back in March I installed a rev-loc auto clutch on my 00 kdx 200. I purchased the entire unit used from a local rider. The seller decided to remove the unit before he sold his kdx (defected to Orange), figuring he would never recapture the $900 rev-loc cost if left installed on the bike. It came complete with plates, shims, springs, and instructions. I called rev-loc for consultation on the installation and they were extremely helpful even with the knowledge that I was not the original owner. They provided me with some helpful setup tips, like using only 2 of the 4 pressure plate springs for off idle engagement.

I live in South Eastern, NY and do mostly east coast NETRA type riding (hardly ever past 3 gear). I adapted to the auto clutch right away. I can say that I will probably have one of these units on my bikes for the rest of my life. My first few rides were on faster terrain (quad trails) and some hard laps on a motocross track. On the quad trails it didn’t make a difference, but on the motocross track, I was able to ride longer and more aggressive via lack of arm pump. The terrain that really made me a believer was riding a mile long, nasty, blown out, root infested, swamp trail, the type where it’s knee deep black muck and always a game of survival. I was the first one through every time, just put it in gear and twist, no need to work the clutch or worry about stalling. For blazing new trails or marking club race courses, this is the hot ticket. I have recently put in about 100 miles on some very tough eastern single track and the unit has really helped improve my riding technique. On a normal clutched bike, I sometimes lug the engine in a gear too high, using the low end to conserve energy and fanning the clutch for bursts. I now find myself in the meat of the powerband more often for a few reasons; 1) I am less tired from arm pump 2) I don’t have a clutch to fan for instant power, so gear selection is more critical. 3) It is impossible to stall so you can charge and brake slide every turn. I rigged up my clutch lever to activate the rear brake to enhance this capability (see link). http://www.geocities.com/jdelavalle/kdx.html

There are some auto clutch side effects that you have to adapt to though. When you completely chop the throttle or slam on the brakes, the bike freewheels. This attribute can be almost eliminated with a low spring tension setting. I had a few scares when using slightly higher tension, going into turns with no engine braking and wheel brakes only. On steep downhills this hasn’t been a problem because I consciously apply the throttle while descending. If you are in the right gear, logs, ditches, water crossings are not a problem. Wheelies are the same and you can still shift while the front end is in the air. I never used the clutch when shifting on wheelies anyway.

Many previous auto clutch reviews posted how well they worked on hill climbs, here is where I still have to experiment. Picture dropping into a 30’ deep “V” ravine, with a stream at the bottom and a log in the middle. The climb out of the ”V” is basically from a dead stop. I tried it in first gear and the clutch and rear wheel would slip, grab, slip, grab, and the front end would raise, drop, raise, drop. It made a for very awkward ravine exit, where normally I would carefully modulate the clutch to control wheel spin and front wheel altitude. In this instance I was the last rider out and didn’t have time to do it again. I may try it in second gear next time and just let the auto clutch do the slipping for me. Mentally it is just hard to go up something near vertical from a dead stop in second gear.

As far as installation, it takes about a half and hour. I have an electric impact wrench and have swapped clutches back and forth a few times. Care must be given in removing the outer clutch cover so as not to rip the $9.99 gasket. I ripped it once and now dowse them in grease to keep pliable. I noticed quite a bit more aluminum speckles in my tranny oil, so I do inspections and change the oil more often.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Great report farcry2. I've been bugging rekluse for a year now. They keep saying it'll be available for the KDX in a couple of months. Glad to hear you got yours for a good price. I'm not ready for a $900 expense.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Thanks for the write up. I've been doing the same as skipro...biug rekluse about a unit for the KDX.

Is there the option to leave your clutch lever active and use it as an "override" to the auto clutch?

BRYDEN1

Sep 22, 2003
Does anyone have an idea on the maintainance and lifespan of the efm or rekluse clutches? I know every rider is different but I am curious about the longevity.

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
I talked to the Rekluse rep again today (Greg) - he said late fall now.

I am tired of waiting so I am going with the EFM. They are $500 and look like a great product.

Should have it running in a week or so - will post some details.

Top Bottom